Removing Chain Help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topdwg

Reaction score
So yesterday I went to remove my chain (DID 520 0-ring) and found that it doesn't have a master link? I went to DID's website and it says this chain uses rivets, vise the clip style to hold it together. The part they sell to get the rivets off is like $140? Anyone know of an easier/cheaper way to get this chain off. I'm needing to put a new chain guide on.

Thanks,

So yesterday I went to remove my chain (DID 520 0-ring) and found that it doesn't have a master link? I went to DID's website and it says this chain uses rivets, vise the clip style to hold it together. The part they sell to get the rivets off is like $140? Anyone know of an easier/cheaper way to get this chain off. I'm needing to put a new chain guide on.

Thanks,

You just want to remove this chain to install a new one? Cut it off with a torch or cut it off with a hack saw, cut off wheel of a grinder or anything other of the sort.
There really should be no need to do this as I would almost think that most all chains have a master on them.. other wise there would be no way to get the guide through them.
Just make sure and check that there is no clips in the links anywhere and look on both sides of the chain to try and find it.

You need a chain rivet press tool, or at least it makes it easier. Theres some cheap ones out there that will work fine, you dont need to spend 140 on one. Or what i would do, i would remove a link by grinding the head off one of the pins and tapping it through with a punch. Then when you put it back together just use a regular master link, problem solved.

there has to be some sort of master link, how else would they have gotten the chain onto the bike, and around the swing arm

there has to be some sort of master link, how else would they have gotten the chain onto the bike, and around the swing arm

You def don't need a master link. All it takes is the right tool, and you can install a pin and flare out the end instead of using a master link. That's how most come from the factory, and a lot of racers also do this to eliminate the slightest possibility that the master link could come unclipped. This is nothing special or new...

You need a chain rivet press tool, or at least it makes it easier. Theres some cheap ones out there that will work fine, you dont need to spend 140 on one. Or what i would do, i would remove a link by grinding the head off one of the pins and tapping it through with a punch. Then when you put it back together just use a regular master link, problem solved.

Isn't this what I already said?

[quote:p4f2i6lk]You need a chain rivet press tool, or at least it makes it easier. Theres some cheap ones out there that will work fine, you dont need to spend 140 on one. Or what i would do, i would remove a link by grinding the head off one of the pins and tapping it through with a punch. Then when you put it back together just use a regular master link, problem solved.

Isn't this what I already said?[/quote:p4f2i6lk]

Yeah, I didn't see your original post when I posted mine. I just saw what jason posted and jumped in.

Back