Removing back brake rotor

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1994warrior

Reaction score
Hey,
I just got a aftermarket axle (durablue +2, +4) and ran into some problems installing. My back brake rotor is not willing to come off. We even sat down and had a long talk, and it still refused to come off. It is held on by 4 bolts with an allen wrench head (why?) They are on hella-tight, and already pretty stripped. Any idea's on getting this off. I thought about just purchasing a new one off e-bay, but doubt it would come with the screws. Could I go to the hardware store and find some non allen wrench screws to replace stock, if I bought new rotor?? The rotor looks in good shape, but not sure how to remove it........Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Dammit I hate allen head screws too!!! I went through the same thing when I replaced the rear rotor on my dual sport, once those things are in there for more than 5 years they might as well be welded. Once you get them out you can just go to the local hardware store and get standard hex head bolts to replace them. I had to shave down the heads for them to work with my bike due to clearance issues but it shouldn't be a problem on a quad.

The trick I used to get them out I learned from the guys at the local shop. You need nothing but a hammer and a cold chisel. First cut a groove on one side of the screw kind of like you're putting a hand on a clock. Once you get that groove hammered in there fairly deep, lean the chisel at an angle so when you hit it, it'll be putting force downward and counter-clockwise to unscrew it. Keep on going and it should break loose and back out pretty easily.

Why are you taking the brake rotor off the hub to begin with? Does the durablue use a different hub or something?

I bought the durablue in the classifieds from Gasman. He was parting out his warrior. He sent it without a rotor, so I was just trying to put mine on. Thinking (and hopeing) it uses the same one!!!

The rotor is mounted on the rotor hub, which slides off the axle. All you needed to do is slide the whole assembly off your old axle and onto the new one unless there's something going on here totally beyond my logic. Aren't there just splines on the durablue for the hub to go over? That's how my Lonestar was anyways and I don't see why it would be any different for a Durablue on the Warrior.

One way I would get stripped out allen head bolts is use a torx bit thats just a little bigger than the hole thats stripped out. I used a extension and a sledge hammer and beat it on there until it made new grooves in the bolt and then it would twist out. I have done this on my warrior and my 400ex i have it works pretty good.

YamaRider said:
The rotor is mounted on the rotor hub, which slides off the axle. All you needed to do is slide the whole assembly off your old axle and onto the new one unless there's something going on here totally beyond my logic. Aren't there just splines on the durablue for the hub to go over? That's how my Lonestar was anyways and I don't see why it would be any different for a Durablue on the Warrior.

Was unaware of this. (very new to ATV's) The part that it screws into is on the durablue, just lacking the rotor. Even if it did just slide off my stock axle is pretty rough looking, and the new one is chrome. I will see how much of the axle everything is attached too. Do not mind a little bit of old with the new.

I went out and checked. The mount for the rear brake rotor is attached to the axle bearing housing. It does not slip off. I realize on the front brakes, the rotor is attached to the hub, and slides off. Unless I am missing something mine does not slip off.

??? Yeah, why take the rotor off its hub if the rotor is still good?. Just slide the whole assembly onto the new axle.

deadlastracing said:
??? Yeah, why take the rotor off its hub if the rotor is still good?. Just slide the whole assembly onto the new axle.

I guess I am confussed. My back rotor is bolted to a small piece via 4 allen head bolts. The mount containg the threaded holes for the 4 bolts, appears to be attached to the right side of the rear bearing housing. I have even gave it a little love tap with a hammer and nothing. I don't see how this slides off...........

That small piece it's bolted onto is the brake hub, it's completely seperate from the axle, bearings, and everything else. It's in no way attached to that housing, the only thing that could be possibly holding it on there is the rubber seal on the carrier. You do have the old axle out, right? Get a bigger hammer or pull harder or something, I don't see how it could possibly be stuck on there.

actually its a pretty common mod to weld the brake hub onto the axle shaft on the outside lip. Is your welded?

OK, I had to slow down and read, your now saying that the hub is attached to the carrier? How can that be? It moves with the axle........ ??? Shire is not just stuck?

Also, you got a new brake rotor hub with the new axle. Then for sure go the chisel route to get the allen bolts off or bet yourself an extractor set.

lol I may sounds dumb after this post. When I bought the axle I bought his custom axle carrier housing. Being that I bought this there was no reason to take the axle out. All that was missing from my new set-up was hubs rotor and sproket. I un-bolted my sproket and, was going to just un bolt rotor and attach it to his hub. I think I will have to find a way to losen bolts, or get a new one on the cheap. Just seems easier than taking the axle out of them both and putting the new one back together (those big nuts have to be had to break free)

AHhhhh, I see now. Yeah, just drill out or extract the old bolts and get that rotor off.

Latest posts

Back