rectifier

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97warriorrider

Reaction score
Hey guys. my 400ex awhile back stopped charging the battery. I posted on EXriders what might have caused this..was thinking maybe the stator was shot but I was told it could be the rectifier? What does the recifier do and could it cause my battery to stop being charged? sorry if this is in the wrong section but i want it where it will get the most responses the fastest..Thanks

bumpity bump bump..for sure theres some one on here that can tell me what the recitfier does and how it could cause my batter to not get charged...cough cough Jason, dave, griff ugh i think im choking guys...lol

Your rectifier converts your AC voltage from the stator to DC voltage which is what everything on your quad uses. I would think that if the rectifier went out eventually the battery would get drained to the point that it could no longer provide enough power to run your ignition, and the quad would start running like ****. I don't know though.

Have you checked your charging voltage? Thats the voltage across the battery terminals while the quad is running. That can tell you a lot. If it's down around 12 volts it's not charging at all, if it's up around 14-15 you're getting a correct charging voltage.

the bike stays running but after you get it started the lights are almost useless. And last night was the first time I really got to start it and keep it running..I had to crank it quite about..eventually had to put the charger on it..got her started..then this morning I went out and it started right up but stalled when I turned the choke off..Then I cranked it somemore and the battery went dead..put the charger on it..went riding..came home and shut it off and it wouldnt start.

Id start with a new battery then go from there. I had a 1980 honda cb750 and had a bunch of problems with the juice and it ended up being the stator ....I think but i put a new batt in first thing

Well not knowing that it was funny.But thats what Ive always been told.Start with the battery then start checking the system part by part ond find the bad one.......

well today I went out and cranked it and it started up..it wasnt cranking very fast..Then I went out riding for a little bit..came back pumped my tire up and topped the tank off..cranked and she started went up the road to my friends house..Went to leave and it wouldnt start at all..I kept cranking and finally the battery just went right dead..wouldnt crank anymore

The charging voltage is the best place to start with checking the rectifier. If you don't have a good dc voltage when the engine is running, the next thing to check would be that you're getting AC voltage into the rectifier.

Testing the actual internal components of the rectifier itself can be done, but it's much quicker and easier to just check that you're getting ac voltage in and dc voltage out.

Jason..you are the biggest help on the internet I have ever had!! If my dad looked at it and read the book and what not he could figure it out..hes pretty mechinally inclined and what not..Im asking on here so I can read about it and learn..Its easier for me to learn this way than to ask him and just have him tell it to me..You guys are awesome..**** Exriders all they do is argue

Latest posts

Back