rebuilt carb now im confused

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashish420

Reaction score
ok so i rebuilt the carb and the redid the loose timing chain. timing is on but i sometimes get a pop at idle then it almost stalls also my spark plugs are coming out white after a 5 minutes ride with a short wot through all gears.Usually i rebuild a carb and put all the same jets back in and everything is great.this time im not so lucky.

i tried turning out my mixture screw a full turn out and it was slightly better but the pop remains.

what should i do there are 100 different forums with different answers.how long should i ride it before checking the sparkplug.its brand new

i had adjusted the valves a few days before changing the timing chain should i re adjust them?

the way you talked on other threads it sounded like your carb wasn't cleaned up well or jetting is off.

If your jetting is at 145 main jet that's your problem. With a pipe you should go up a size or two

uh im not so worried about the lean condition thats an easy fix ofc. its the popping at idle that bugs me also when im barely touching the gas.and rolling slowly at points it will slow right down and speed up again when im not even moving the throttle.Its an awkward thing that my lt230 had at one point and i cant remember how i fixed it -_-

Maybe thats what you meant by the valve stem mod made it more laggy. try screwing the idle mixture screw all the way in then back it out 2 rotations. Also Have you checked your stator recently? When the pickup coil starts going out it doesn't like to run optimally.

changed the stator only about 2 hours on it since. no the valve stem mod made it bog when i hit full throttle. this is only at idle or 1/8th throttle or less.honestly i didnt notice this when i posted my forum about the cap not working then brought it to a garage to get the flywheel pulled.after putting it all back together again and actually really listening to it idle i noticed it pops then rpm drop to almost a stall. or if im in first rolling barely touching the gas it does it too.i speed up and slowdown at points without even moving the throttle.

Could a improperly set float cause this?I did'nt measure it out or anything i just mad sure it had free movement and clogged the hole when up

It's sucking air somewhere. Might be the carb boot cracked or bad o ring on the boot.

Good thinking ill take a good look tomorrow. I did have to remove the carb 3 times in the past few weeks maybe it has a rip.

i just realized i didnt consider altitude here to where i had been riding the quad before i brought it home....

im at 44m above sea level

compared to the 30m i was at before never thought of that is this enough to cause the lean condition?

no rips or tears in the intake boot o-rings are in great shape..i'm starting to think the other jet in there had been drilled out to a larger size or something.I'm going to take it for a 30 minute ride later and then ill check the plug again with the old jet back in there.

There has never been a boot on the accel pump plunger since my boss bought it back in 2012.But now the plastic covers gasket is in rough shape.Cant see that being the air leak could it?

Maybe dirt is getting through? But im not sure youve ran it long enough unless its not cleaned up well. That accel pump probably doesnt have any effect on idle anyways. Didn't your rebuild kit come with new jets? Sounds like your still running stock size anyways.

If you can, get a new plug and run it where it's causing problems for 5 min or so. Kill it and pull the plug. Then youll know for sure but I'm willing to bet your just running lean all around and you need to rejet.

have you checked needle position yet? And what are you running aftermarket anyways?

ok i looked at your sig and ive never heard of that pipe before. a quick search on it and it looks like it was made for a trx450? maybe your getting way too much flow out of that thing

ye the pipe is from a trx 450 it ran fine like this before the stock jets from the carb kit are the same as before so it should run the same unless the last owner drilled out the stock jets.

I am running brand new plugs they both came out white after 5 minute rides. as for the needle its set in the same position as last time second from the top.What is factory setting? the rebuild kit came from shindy products the mechanic recommended it cause it was only 30 bucks and he uses them.

make sure you really are 2 turns out on the mixture screw. if you are go 2.5, then 3, etc. if you get to 4 then you probably just need a 45 pilot.

you also talked about the float. it has messed up my mixture in the past. but a simple tweak of the mixture screw afterwards gave me back my response

im still not sure about that pipe though. im not a ballsy modder like some people here so someone else would have to chime in about that. personally i wouldn't run something like that that wasn't made for my bike unless i knew exactly why it would work out fine. one thing i would assume is that you are getting much more flow then the restrictive stock pipe these these bikes come with. your going to have to comp that with more fuel

ok found my exhaust lifter fully loose with the nut hanging on by thread. good thing i didnt go for that ride today.bet thats my problem.... should i drop the needle one slot anyway?

As i said it ran fine with the pipe last year all around and this year too.when i started it it ran extremely well but bogged at wot.so i rebuilt the carb and cleaned it.when i bought it it had the pipe on it already and was a very nice plug color.golden brown.

Last edited:
i would work on it one problem at a time. see how it runs but i dont see why it isnt still going to be lean

i dont see why it is lean now when i set it exactly as was before.the popping and surging is for sure my exhaust valve that was loose as hell.I adjusted that to spec now im going to raise my needle one slot and adjust that to factory and go from there.I think the trx450 pipe is actually as restrictive as the stock warrior pipe but has a fatter Can and throatier sound thats all.the inner baffles are no bigger then my warrior header pipe.

Latest posts

Back