Rear sprocket hub

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnk

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with slack in the splines? I noticed mine is loose and it's got me spooked. The bearings and wheel hubs are tight, but there is a bit of rotational play in the sprocket hub. I'm hoping it's just the splines in the hub, not the axle.... ::)

You need to tighten your axle nuts. Even a brand new axle and hub will have slack if the axle nuts aren't torqued down tight as hell.

I was hoping that would cure it. Thanks a million.....

Get that thing tightened up before you ride it much, if it stays loose like it is, eventually it will wear out the splines and you will need a new hub and axle.

And just a tip, if you don't have a wrench or tool that fits the axle nuts right, don't bother trying to make a pair of channel lock pliers work. I tried that because I couldn't find a 2 inch wrench, and not only was it a pain in the arse, but it also chewed up the nuts very nicely and the nuts came loose even with loctite on them. At harbor freight you can get a friggin huge adjustable wrench (I think it's up to 4 inches or something ridiculous like that) for $18. That's cheaper than those sketchy forked looking things you can get that go on the end of a ratchet or breaker bar, and you don't have to worry about messing up your other tools.

Yup, no pliers for me. I'll pick up the proper wrench tomorrow and tighten it correctly before riding it again. Thanks gents....

i hope you guys are right. i just noticed that i have some play in mine also.

I talked to the guy at Yamaha today. He told me to tighten it up and ride it. Eventually I will have to replace the hub, but it is designed to wear out and not hurt the axle. Cool, thought I.

Bought a 2 inch combo wrench and a large crecent wrench and snugged up the axle nuts. cured the slack and I'm back in bidness....

Back