Rear diff gear oil?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotaz

Reaction score
It seems there is an endless debate on the internet with no real conclusive answers regarding what gear oil is OK to use when "SAE 80 GL-4 Hypoid Gear Oil" is called for. I am almost to the point of using Royal Purple 75W-90 that is GL-4 and GL-5 compatible. It seems ridiculous to me that Yahama's own website where the fluids are sold doesn't even show a compatible gear oil. My dealer, of course, doesn't have Yamaha gear oil so I am really confused.

What are you guys using?

I have been using high performance synthetic(a must) not the cheapest and not the pricest. I checked, valvoline in a dark blue bottle from autozone.I have always had issues with moisture getting in the rear dioff and foaming out of the tube under the seat, does not clean off pipes and the frame without some serious cleaner. So the valvoline holds up the longest and does not foam.

I can't get the synthetic valvoline here, even though the dang company is from this town. What's up with that? Anyway, I am going to get the Royal Purple 75W-90 that is GL-4 and GL-5 specified.

I can't get the synthetic valvoline here, even though the dang company is from this town. What's up with that? Anyway, I am going to get the Royal Purple 75W-90 that is GL-4 and GL-5 specified.

HMMMMM just make sure its synthetic. The normal stuff will foam bad.

Well a Yamaha dealer in a neighboring county had the Yamaha driveshaft gear lube so I bought it.

Can you describe the foaming in a bit more detail? Is it foaming in the differential and causing an issue or foaming and blowing foam up the tube to the airbox?

Ive never heard of yamaha making a gear oil. My dealer just has the normal stuff coastal, royal purple etc. And the foaming,um yeah instead of getting milky, it causes pressure and blows out the vent tube. Good luck.

The driveshaft gear oil is what both of my local Yamaha dealers have sold me and told me is what to be used in the front & rear diffs. I have some left over BG 80w90 GL4 Synthetic oil from my Ford parts department that I'm going to try this summer. We use that in front & rear diffs on most of our Ford trucks.

Yeah, that is what I have in the garage and that is what they said can be used also in the front & rear diff. I just changed both diff fluids and filled them with that just 2 or 3 weeks ago.

What did it cost? and let us know how it holds up with the water.

What did it cost? and let us know how it holds up with the water.

I think it was about $6-$7. She won't be driving it through deep enough water to get up to the differential, but then again, maybe we find some new places this year. I'll report back in if there's anything to mention.

eeehhh, I don't know if I have the receipt still. I bought it back in February but I'll look when I get home tonight.

Def keep us updated. hopefully its not the same stuff thats spewing out now.

Aces, Buy a bottle of SeaFoam (all the parts houses have it) and put a teaspoon in each differential. It is a super concentrated alcohol and will use the heat from the differential to boil the water out of the oil. We been using it around here for years in the motor and differentials. It was made popular buy barge mechanics. They use it in the diesel engines and drives of tugs and pushers.

Aces, Buy a bottle of SeaFoam (all the parts houses have it) and put a teaspoon in each differential. It is a super concentrated alcohol and will use the heat from the differential to boil the water out of the oil. We been using it around here for years in the motor and differentials. It was made popular buy barge mechanics. They use it in the diesel engines and drives of tugs and pushers.

Will do Thanks

Latest posts

Back