Rear Caliper Issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Reaction score
Ever since I bought my machine a few years back, I've had issues with the rear caliper. The thing drags and eats pads like nothing. I more often than not, just use the front brakes. I've overhauled the sliders with a new pin and a new boots...no luck.

I want to say a Z-400 or 400EX rear caliper would be a direct swap. Anyone done this before?

No sir i haven't done it, But a good friend of mine has a Z400. Next time we are out riden i will take a look at them side by side and maybe post some pics. To see if the swap looks Do-able.

rear

I've had the same issue. After an hour of working on the rear one day...i loosened it enough so that it didn't squel. Most of the things i've read are that the rear is junk and some people take them completely off. Just sucks when you have to find a flat spot on the trail to park. Mine won't hold even in gear. Good luck!

By the way, how do you like the 489s? What size are you running. Lookin for tires and I'm having a hard time find the stock sizes. I don't want loss of power if I go up in size.

Mcdiver I bought the maxxis zillas 25" the weight with the itp rims were only a pound per wheel and no real loss of power. I'm running a 2008 450 4x4. The only company that sells the stock size is carlisle and they're 2 ply.

Thanks aces3. I have a 2003 350. I plan on getting a k&n filter and dyno jet. With that setup, I don't think it'll have problems running the 25in tires. Didn't want to buy new wheels for the mountains in TN to chew up, but I may have too. Will the 11in tires fit on the 12in wheels?

Thanks mcdiver! Maybe I'll just leave it alone for now. The fronts do just fine at stopping it.

I love the 489's. I've ridden in some nasty terrain...rocks, roots, you name it; and they've held up great. I wanted to keep the stock size as well. While weight isn't an issue, it was more the overall diameter I was concerned about.

Mine ate pads like crazy and one day I went to change them and found that it had eaten through the pad and the piston had been riding on the rotor. There was no squeal, but there was a hole rubbed in the piston. I just took the whole caliper off. The front eats pads too, but not like the back did.

Sounds like these things are a common problem. I guess I'll just leave it as is...and just use the fronts. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back