Rear Axle needs replacement...OEM or upgrade?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DallmannTodd

Reaction score
I had an incident on the trail this weekend, my rear axle is completely stripped (splines and threads) on the left side. Of course, I learned this the hard way when my wheel, hub and all, came flying off on the side of the mountain in Northern Maine, about 13 miles from the nearest paved road. The Castle Nut actually sheered right through the cotterpin. We managed to limp the machine off the trail, but I definately need a new axle, hub, and associated parts.

So, now I am wondering whether to pay $250 for a new OEM axle, or splurge the extra $120 for an upgrade. I have found the DuraBlue Eliminator online, but havent found any reviews on it's performance or quality. Which brings me to my questions....

1. Is the DuraBlue Eliminator Axle worth the extra cost?

2. Is there a better After-market axle system available out there?

I ended up with a stripped hub/axle end as well, and went through the same thing. I could only find that DuraBlue makes an aftermarket option. I sprung for the aftermarket because it has some kind of warranty with it, the warranty does not coever splines :roll: , but will cover breaking/bending for life.

That is what I chose, don't know if it was worth it or not, but at least the exposed side is shiny :lol:

When changing the axle, change the ring gear too or you will be wasting your money. Seen Durablue axles not last a month without changing the ring gear too. A worn ring gear will not mesh correctly with a new axle.

Never heard of replacing the gear too, nor does the factory service manual say anything about this? Please share where you got this info? I also like the factory axle compared to the durablue for the wolverine anyways. The factory axle will bend before it breaks, like after a heck of a landing. Some aftermarket axles are hardened steel will break rather then bend.

Really depends how bad its worn, ridges on the teeth are a bad sign. Also before ya spend a lot on a durablue axle remember they don't cover the teeth..splines on the lifetime warranty. I got one off ebay. it stripped in a month so i had the original resplined by a good machine shop, cost me 200$ and the guy made the splines abit bigger than original to remesh with the drive gear. I had to pound it in. works great now tho.

I see your logic Veggieman, but I did not have to worry about the ring gear on mine. My problem was the clown that owned it before me must have run it with the castle nut loose. The splines on both the hub and axle end were destroyed.

If you are jumping seriously enough to break an axle, maybe you should think about a straight sport quad. :lol:

Back