raptor 350 riders how old are you?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im 38. Got my 1st quad (my Raptor 350) when I was 36. If I started on something bigger I would have crashed for sure. I bought my KFX700 last year because I wanted something bigger with an automatic but riding that thing on tight trails is kinda scary since to much throttle either sends you into the trees or makes you wheelie, and its hard to not give it too much gas. Im keeping my 350 since its comfy and light and great on tight trails but I can ride longer if I dont have to clutch so Im keeping the KFX700 as well. In a way I like my Raptor better cause you can never relax on my Kawie, its just too quick and is always scary. I look forward to building up my Raptor in the future since all the 450s are way to uncomfortable and I dont race or ride much MX.

39 in April....

Started riding dirt bikes when I was 6. Have had many motorcycles (dirt and street) over the years, several ATV's as well.

chitownpete.. does that gytr air filter go in the stock box, or is it exposed?

Yes it goes in the stock box and allows you to run without a lid but I put it on if its real muddy or wet. An outerwears is a must and i you drill holes in the stock lid you can leave it on . The filter kit and a new jet definately improved my throttle response and made my Raptor more responsive to throttle inputs. Im running the stock exhaust and felt it was well worth it. It costs about the same as other air filter kits and was USA made so I just went for it. The K&N style filter is blue, some yammi guys like that.

I'm 41 riding my used Warrior, and just got my 37 yr old wife a Raptor 350 because I like the Warrior so much. Might want more power someday, but for the riding we do, these are great quads. For the money, these are great machines.

Got my Warrior new when I was 25 back in 2001, now at 31 I've probably put as much aftermarket into it as it costed new, but I don't regret it one bit, as a matter of fact I did it again on my 87 Warrior with a 400 kit.lol

Dad bought me one when I was 13 and I bought another one when I was 21 and now am 23. It isn't my main quad anymore but I do enjoy riding it when hard flat out riding isn't needed. I like it for dune riding and such. I got two groups of riding buddies 1 likes to do moderate speeds through the woods and when I go out with the 2nd group we all bring our 450s and modded banshees and just live on the edge for 4 hrs strait.

My advise would be to pipe and filter them but retain your stock parts and when it comes time to upgrade to a bigger machine most dealers will give a good quote on trade in if it comes with the oem yamaha parts that they dont have to put back on. I know I personally dont use dealers to install anything but I got one buddy that has more cash than he knows what to do with but he generally gets high trade ins due to the dealer having all the manintenace work on file. He just recently got a trade in quote for a 2004 *beat to hell yfz450 that they have done all the maintenance work to for 3500 dollars. I bought my new 06 out the door for 5600.

Sweet. Ya I like them very much for the riding I do, which is all trails, and they fit on trials great do to there size. I plan on ordering a filter and exhaust for them, and some other goodies too. I"ve seen those things you can put in your air box, you cut holes and insert them. Do they work well? I think I'm gonna order the gytr filter and a hmf exhuast. Then I gotta try my tuning skills haha. Anyone know where I can get gytr parts online?

Does the exhaust and intake make a good gain? I"ve also read about people dropping the front sprocket one tooth?

Yea intake and exhaust are hand in hand - the gytr is pretty expensive - I would look into a k&n instead if it were me. Dropping a tooth on the sproket is a good idea if you want a bit more torque for pulling the wheels off the ground in a moments notice. This will make it easier to navigate over harsh terrain allowing to pop the throttle and have a little more jolt power. This is of course if you get your carb tuned in after the intake and exhuast. good choice on the hmf you will love the roar that comes out of the canister.

ya, I ride trails, the pop would help in gettin up over things.

What all do I need to get the k&n to work? Or does it just drop in?

Im 23 yrs old. I ride a Rappy 350. It has Tusk nerfs bars(black) and billet gas cap , Maxxis Razr tires(rear), CRJ rear lowering kit and 1.5in. front wheel spacers, & uni air filter. Many plans for the future. ;D

Any one know what I need to fit the k&N?

Ridinfast03 how much maintence do you do on your 450? I didn't get a 450 cause they said you had to change piston and rings at least once a year.

^^^^^ya whoever told you this should never even touch an atv, the only maintenance really is oil changes, adjusting valves, ect

it was the shops mechanic that works on there race teams bike. He said to change them once a year.. maybe I will look into a 450 in a couple years then.

Any one know what I need to fit the k&N?

Ridinfast03 how much maintence do you do on your 450? I didn't get a 450 cause they said you had to change piston and rings at least once a year.

Depends on what kind of k&n you get. If you get the junky stock replacement k&n all you do is pull of your airbox lid, take the old one out, and toss the new one in. The stock filter setup is flawed though, so it's best to go with a Pro Design kit. It's a little more expensive, and a little more work to install, but it can save you some headaches in the long run because you won't be getting dirt sucked through like the stock design can allow sometimes. If you buy a Pro Design kit it'll come with everything you need. To install it you just take the airbox off the quad, and take the stock filter out. Then you just screw an aluminum adapter into the airbox with 4 screws, (you will need to drill the holes). Then you just put everything back together, and the filter slips over the aluminum adapter and tightens down with a hose clamp.

Yeah, for the most part that statement about the yfz maintenance is bogus. Some racers may rebuild the top end every year or twice a year, but with normal riding and normal maintenance the piston and rings can last almost as long as the average 4 stroke. The only thing that accelerates wear on the 450's is that the piston doesn't have as big of a skirt as most 4 strokes. The only big pain in the ass with the 450's is keeping the valves in adjustment, I can't remember exactly how often they're supposed to be checked/adjusted, but it's definitely more frequent than on a 350, and with a 5 valve head and having to make adjustments by swapping out shims instead of just turning a nut, it can be a pain in the ass.

Yes the 450's have a shorter stroke and the rod angle is greater causing more wear on the piston/sleeve/rings. I believe they say every 40 hours the top end should be checked. Thats crazy talk but when your turning that kind of RPM and HP through that small of an engine you better expect that you'll have to mantain it for it to run it's best.

I'm old 31 and this is my second Warrior. First one was bought in the early 90's, this one I got last year sometime. As for maintenance on my YFZ all I do is change the oil/filter, air filter, and once a year I adjust the valves. As for top end change and I'm not sure if this is right, all I do is do a compression check. If the numbers are good (which I don't remember off hand) I don't worry about it. Is that the right thing to do?

Latest posts

Back