Raptor 350 36bsr carb on 06 and later Wolverine

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few have raised this question on other sites: will a 36bsr carb off a Raptor 350 fit in place of our 33bsr. With a few little mods, yes!!

Check out the whole line of pics. I swapped the idle adjustment screw from the wolvy carb onto the rappy carb. The intake from the head to the carb can be used. Remove the clamp and discard it; it won't fit the bigger carb. With a little twisting and pushing, the rappy carb will slide into the intake. Then, secure with properly sized hose clamp. All of the wolvy hoses and cables will work perfectly on the rappy carb. I did have to shorten the fuel line from the gas tank to fit the carb, though; the wolvy fitting comes straight out while the rappy fitting takes a 90 towards the front. I had to adjust the throttle cable at the thumb throttle to give more slack because it was holding the throttle partially open.

Now for the fun stuff. The hole on the airbox side of the rappy carb is about 2 1/4" in diameter, which will not fit the factory airbox/carb intake piece. This is also larger than the hole in the front of the airbox. I cut a 2 5/8" hole in the airbox and then trimmed it to fit the pipe I used. I found a tapered abs plastic tube that was about 2 1/4" on one end and up to 3" on the other. I cut it off at about 2 3/4" on the large end. I put the small end towards the carb used jb weld epoxy one the outside to secure/seal it. When that dried, I used RTV on the inside just for a little added caution. Lowes sells rubber couplings for pipes with 2" inside diameters, which is about 2 3/8" outside. I shortened one of these to go from the airbox to the carb. Don't worry about the connection from there to the wolvy carb, as the rappy carb doesn't have this connection.

I cut all the innerds out of the airbox and found a UNI clamp-on filter with a 2 3/4" inlet and installed it. Also, the snorkel of the airbox is smaller than the carb inlet, so I removed the snorkel and drilled holes in the lid. As of know, it runs good, but still needs tuning on the jets. The carb is jetted for a raptor 350 with pipe, intake, filter now, but I think I need to fine tune it.

Afterthoughts:
Do not cut the small tube beside the large one on the front of the airbox; your engine crankcase vent tube connects there. I only did it to install a barbed hose fitting because my tube was a little looser than I liked.

I did this mod along with the HMF exhaust, so I cannot tell you how much it helped. I do know that this wolvy with spin out in curves due to wheelspin that my other wolvy has no problem with. It fishtails alot easier, too! It feels like more boost than just a pipe would do. I basically enlarge the entire intake.

This mod is not worth doing if you are not going to allow more air into the airbox. There is no sense in running a carb with a 2 1/4" inlet if your airbox inlet is only 2". Also, don't try to skimp and use the stock tube from the box to the carb inlet. You can only flow as much air as the most restrictive portion of the intake will allow.

Attachments

• DSC01435.jpg
    DSC01435.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01445.jpg
    DSC01445.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01437.jpg
    DSC01437.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01458.jpg
    DSC01458.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01460.jpg
    DSC01460.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this will help someone out. Someone has to take the plunge to find out what works, and it is always better when they share their successes!! I will update later on the tuning. I think I may only need to adjust the needle valve. It idles perfect, and wot seems to have the right plug color, but there is a little hesistation every now and then at mid throttle if I get on it.

An update for anyone that cares.

Still not dead on with the jets, but this thing has way more power than my stock one. I can snatch back on the handlebars and hit the throttle and this thing points to the sky (when it doesn't spin). There is no way just a pipe does that. I'm still trying to get a little sputter out, but this is definently a worth while mod.

Hello, I just did install a Raptor 350 carb in my Wolverine 450. It worked fine, but now I need to jet it correctly. Have you finaly got your Wolvy jetted right? If so, could you tell me what jets did you use ( main, pilot, mixture screw, etc...)

It can be a very usefull information as a good starting point, thank you in advance...

if you want performance use fcr style carb cv style carburetor will alway suck

Back