rappy 350 question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior87sambo

Reaction score
hey guys. this raptor im doing has a problem going from first into second gear and back into first. it has the stock shifter set up. when you get it into first and get going you have to pull the clutch in, pull up on the shifter at least three times befor it goes into second. and its even harder to get back into first. also when it first starts up it blows white smoke while in choke then when i turn the choke off its normal. any ideas???

The smoke is your valve seals. They warm up after a bit and seal correctly. The shifting to second issue happens to all of these machines eventually. Going to need a new clutch kit installed. The driveline clutch on ebay is going to be your best option.

White smoke is not oil. Oil is blue. That white smoke is either moisture, or (more likely) fuel particles suspended in the exhasust. That happens because when the engine and intake air temps are cold, fuel does not atomize well, and forms droplets that are harder to burn. The fact that it does it when the choke is on supprots it, because you are feeding the engine more fuel. Ever see a car first start up in the winter? Has white smoke until if gets to operating temp. If it doesn't smell lik oil, then it is not oil.

Last edited:
White smoke is not oil. Oil is blue. That white smoke is either moisture, or (more likely) fuel particles suspended in the exhasust. That happens because when the engine and intake air temps are cold, fuel does not atomize well, and forms droplets that are harder to burn. The fact that it does it when the choke is on supprots it, because you are feeding the engine more fuel. Ever see a car first start up in the winter? Has white smoke until if gets to operating temp. If it doesn't smell lik oil, then it is not oil.

+1 totally agree

Your shifting problem can be attributed from either a poorly adjusted clutch cable, or a poorly adjusted shifter linkage.

I will buy into the white smoke not being valve seals, but the first to second and second to first issue I do not believe is attributed to shift linkage issues. I would think it would happen in all of the gears if it was shift linkage or clutch adjustment issues. Everything I have seen about these is that the second gear goes first when it starts to be time for a new clutch kit. My raptor has started to do the same thing recently, and it's only second gear issues.

It could be both. 1st and 2nd aren't very tall gears, and you don't move extremely fast in 1st, and there isn't a whole lotta speed (rolling momentum) going from 1st to 2nd. If the shifter is out of adjustment you may not get the required amount of rotational movement out of the shift shaft to shift gears. When the bike is rolling at higher speeds, it is easier to shift, because the trans gets "rocked" into gear by the turning speed of the front sprocket. Basically everything lines up and meshes together. Kinda like when you shift through the gears when the engine is off; you need to roll the bike while working the shifter to get it to "click" into all the gear ranges.

When cluthes go bad, they mostly slip, especially under load. Difficult shifting (hard to get or out of gears) tends to happend when the clutch wont release fully, which is called dragging(happens a lot when a slave cyl is leaking in cars/trucks). Now, if a clutch's friction plates are worn down to near nothing (but isn't slipping), the stack height (clutch thickness in a car/truck) is so short (thin in car/truck) that the clutch arm (fork or slave cylinder in car/truck) doesn't not have enough throw/movent left in it to completely disengage the clutch to allow for gear shifts.

So, it could be either or, or combination of the two.

If it were mine, and it didn't slip any, I would ditch the shifter linkage, adjust the clutch cable and take it for a good ride to see how it does. The stock shifter sucks monkey nuts, so you've already eliminated a headache area. If it is still giving fits after that, then I would replace it. The driveline is a noice clutch, and VERY affordable. All total you'll have around $70 bucks in the clutch kit and clutch cover gasket. For that price, you might as well do it, and know it is good to go. But, I was in a teaching mood this evening. lol

yeah i ordered a clutch kit and direct shifter for it. i already have a **** load of gaskets for this thing so i should be good to go after i throw this stuff on. now i just gotta get that damn 450r jetted right. can i just say going from a warrior to this... what a pain in the ass! my god you gotta take the tank, rear fenders, and seat off just to get the ******* spark plug out -_- it is one siiick mother tho i will admit. the guy didnt re-jet it for the big gun exhaust or the k&n filter he put on so its running way too lean. it does have an remote mixing screw which is nice ig lol

Latest posts

Back