Questions before I buy

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotaz

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a new ATV and will be buying my fiancee something nice to ride. We will be taking trips to places specifically to camp and ride. I have been looking at getting her a Recon or Rancher because sport quads scare her a little. However, she loves the looks of the Wolverine 350 and I love how it's a.) got a CVT so that she doesn't have to shift and won't wear her out as fast on a long day, and b.) is a sportier ATV that she won't grow out of when the utility gets boring due to watching everyone blow by her.

My question is: is maintenance on the CVT and engine relatively low or high when compared to a Recon? I don't want to buy her something that breaks down and then she's all bummed out. It will take a lot of tugging to get her back out if it happens soon after we start riding. BTW, I will be buying her probably a new '08 2x4 350. Thanks a bunch for any feedback!

You have nothing to worry about, these machines are very reliable and Yamaha makes makes the best CVTs out there. Just keep it maintained like you would would anything else, and you'll never have a problem. :)

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm hearing horror stories about the belts, although not necessarily with Yamahas. Does anyone have a typical lifespan for a cvt belt if the machine is going to be used a lot, but by a 27 year old woman who is very safe and doesn't do anything too wild (no deep mud and uphill drags)? Also, what about belts from other vendors? Increased lifespan on those?

I have a 05 Kodiak 450 with about 600 miles on it, and no problems yet. I have friends with more miles on their yamaha cvt than that, and I cant think of one that had to replace the belt yet. Obviously everything will eventually wear out, but it's definitely nothing you have to worry about too often.

I just hit a 1000 miles and my belt has been wet before and not any problems no slippage or wear at all. Just checked a week ago after my first wet ride. I'm sure for her a 350 would be far better than a recon the steering is easier not sure about comfort. A waitress I know has a recon and plays in the mud alot. Something to remember the new wolvies will not go over 50mph.the recons are up around 56mph. Pros and cons depends on where your riding. Wolvy good for tight trails. Recon good for the wet sloppy trails.

Ah, thanks for that comparison. I will let her read that for herself and see what she says. I doubt she cares about the top speed, will care about the ease of steering, and may care about the mud factor. I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Welcome to the site.
As far as the belt goes the owners manual suggest replacing it at 1,600 miles/160 hours.
Regarding the Wolverine itself and maintenance is really easy. I just changed the oil and filter, front and rear diff fluid, air filter and spark plug in a hour or two after work and between beers, there isn't a whole lot to it.
If she is interested in playing in deep mud and you don't want to constantly have to pull her out or winch her out than I honestly suggest teh 450 with the 4x4 on demand.

Good luck on your decision but most importantly get her input and let her help decide because she'll be riding it.

Dan

So I got her a new leftover 2008 350 for $3299 OTD. It's blue with black rims. She's very excited about it. In fact, she says she likes it better than my 700XX, which is exactly what I want to hear. Now if we can just get all of these stupid baby/wedding showers and weddings that last all freakin' spring out of the way...

I also got a very nice, new 5x8 trailer with good-sized 14" tires for $500 where I bought the Wolverine. So we'll have the Wolvy in the truck bed and the 700XX on the trailer. I'm giddy with excitement. It's like Christmas when I was 5 years old again.

CONGRATULATIONS!

So where are you from anyways? I'm 45 min north of Philadelphia, PA.
There are a couple people I ride with that have the 700xx and are trying to get me to convert to one. I've seriously have thought about it especially since they were as low as $3999 at local Honda dealers. Both my friends are on this site http://www.club700xx.com/vb/ if you've never been on it before.

Yeah, I'm a member on there. We're from Lexington, KY. Unless you want a huge, brutish, manual tranny beast, I'd stick with the Wolvy. I swear i like her Wolvy just as much as mine. If I had to pick only one, well I'm not sure yet because I really love the adrenaline surge from the big bore sports. But, her Wolvy is way more practical and enjoyable for all day cruises through the woods. Personally, I wouldn't make a choice between the two. The Wolvy you have is already a cross between both ATV worlds, and thankfully swaying towards the sport side in my opinion. Plus, the 700XX is going to be a pain for me to maintain because I'm short on time for that stuff.

I know exactly what you mean and that is why I ended up with a Wolvy 450 4x4.
It's still sporty, (could be a little faster) has very good 4x4 ability and plenty of people
I rode with last year were surprised with its abilities.
If you see dagirl71 and Nash04 those are a few of my friends I have ridden with over there. I'm on there also as snowdog.
See ya around

I just hit a 1000 miles and my belt has been wet before and not any problems no slippage or wear at all. Just checked a week ago after my first wet ride. I'm sure for her a 350 would be far better than a recon the steering is easier not sure about comfort. A waitress I know has a recon and plays in the mud alot. Something to remember the new wolvies will not go over 50mph.the recons are up around 56mph. Pros and cons depends on where your riding. Wolvy good for tight trails. Recon good for the wet sloppy trails.

WOW, when you said the steering is easier I had no idea. That's the lightest steering I've ever felt. The only thing that concerns me now is how narrow it is. Granted I'm coming from a 700XX, but I'm a little concerned about her skills when it comes to leaning such a skinny ATV. I'm going to have to park it on a slant and let her sit on it with me on the downside and let her feel it start to shift the weight. She already stands up constantly shifting her weight around so I know she senses the need. I'm sure practice will make perfect because she learned to drive a '97 Camaro SS 6-speed and was doing some hilarious slides with the tires roasting through the gears, like a drift queen, after one week behind the wheel. I swear she's more of a natural gear head than me if she can put the jewelry and debit cards down long enough to see how fun it is to play with machines. I'm sort of worried that the 350 will get old real quick for her, but so far she said she has no intention of seeing how fast it will go. I think the old cry "ATVs kill" has gotten to her a little bit. She seems a little scared, but that's a good thing I guess for a newb.

Last edited by a moderator:
350 2x4 comments

I've been following your posts about the new 350 with interest. I just bought my 13 yr. old daughter a 2009 350, but have yet to get it out on the trails. I am getting from you that maybe the 350 won't be enough for your honey. I guess I'm kinda in the same boat, since my daughter is a dare devil at heart. I guess we all go through a little buyers remorse and this purchase is no different. I am interested in your comments and experiences (or anyone elses) with your 350 as riding season approaches.....so please keep us all informed. So far, I haven't found or read many posts about the 350 2x4and it's performance, as most of the posters seem to have 450's.
Can any of you folks out there tell me more about the 350 2x4?

Jim

I've been following your posts about the new 350 with interest. I just bought my 13 yr. old daughter a 2009 350, but have yet to get it out on the trails. I am getting from you that maybe the 350 won't be enough for your honey. I guess I'm kinda in the same boat, since my daughter is a dare devil at heart. I guess we all go through a little buyers remorse and this purchase is no different. I am interested in your comments and experiences (or anyone elses) with your 350 as riding season approaches.....so please keep us all informed. So far, I haven't found or read many posts about the 350 2x4and it's performance, as most of the posters seem to have 450's.
Can any of you folks out there tell me more about the 350 2x4?

Jim

Actually, I got on it, against my better judgment as a crackhead about maintenance and care, and found it to be reasonable for doing donuts and climbing hills. I am mainly referring to what I see as shortcomings compared to a beast that will raise the front end through 4th gear. Who knows, maybe she'll end up jumping the 350 like nobody else. If you go back to the '80s and look at what you could get out of those hilarious ATCs and TRXs, I really can't see that the 350 Wolvy will be lame at all. I was able to spin it around on a dime, which is something that I cannot do on mine. I can't even imagine this being too weak for a 13 year old. Keep us posted on that.

Latest posts

Back