Question on sprockets

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gookdog69

Reaction score
I got a 96 warrior with motor bored .40 over with 10.5-1 compression stage one hot cam rejetted not sure on jetting anymore. Was wonder if some could tell me changing the rear sprocket does what and what does changing the front do. I'm looking to have more torque so I can take off faster not worried about top speed since I trail ride and we ride on roads to get where we go and kinda mess around on the way.

Thanks james

well in the front bigger = faster, in the rear bigger = slower but more torque. if you want more tourqe go with a tooth or two smaller front sprocket.

13 is stock for the front correct?
Yah 13/40 is stock.. I found that 14/40 is good if you running a 20 inch tire, and 14/38 will give you a bit more flat out speed.
If your running 22 inch tires, I would stick to the 13/38. But a 14/40 would work good to.

Basicly what I want is more get up and go from the start and more pick up in the trails speed is not the issue. What are the pros and cons in doin the front then the back I know it's got more to pull to do the back.

Can some give the site address to the sprocket calculator I use to have but can't seem to find it

with 22 in tires the 13/38 is almost exact with the 14/40 the front sprocket increace or decreaces speed 1-3mph the reaar increaces or decreases 1mph per tooth added or subtracted

Ok some I'm going to order a 12 tooth front and was wonder while I got it off if I should just go ahead and replace the chian and keep mine for a extra I found a site to get the renthal chain and both sprockets kit for 135 bucks is that a good deal.

I have 23" tires and 12/40 sprockets. This is a perfect setup for trail riding. There isn't a muddy hill that I can't climb. I keep up with my friends and climb everything they do in their 450 Suzuki's and yzf's. Before changing the tires and front sprocket I had to sit around and watch them climb hills.

I'm running 12/40 with 20's. Gobs of torque but still has decent top speed.
Still running this? Tried it out when I got my 20s in the mail and so much torque it just spins them when I get into it. What tires you run?

Yeah, mine just spun a lot too so I went back to stock gearing with 20 inch GBC XC Masters. A lot better now.

Back