Question for works owners past and present

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dte825

Reaction score
I just put on some AT Steelers and they have these three metal bands that sit up above the springs. They are supposed to determine how far the shock can compress before the second set of springs are activated (dual rate). The problem is they rattle while I'm riding and drive me f-ing crazy. Anybody else know what I'm talking about? Anybody ever rigged any thing up to make them stay in place. I was thinking about some clear silicone caulk. Any thoughts or past solutions?

I've had two sets of Works shocks and never had any rattling. Are you sure your preload isn't backed off so far it's allowing them to move? The bike would sit really low if that's the case.

na the preload still has plenty of thread above the collar. I'll take some pics tonight and show everone what i'm talking about.

I agree with Yakuza, your preload is set too loose. You cannot just go by rather you have threads left or not. Jack the front of the quad off of the ground, with the suspension hanging your springs should not be loose or they will rattle like you are describing when the suspension unloads. The preload will keep some pressure on the springs to help keep this from happening.

On a side note, how are the Steelers working for you? A really big difference from stock or just some difference.

I just installed some brand new dual rate AT Steelers I ordered from Works about a month ago and mine do the exact same thing. I have been meaning to call Works and ask them about it, because it is annoying, but I have just never gotten around to it. I have not been able to ride much, because I have been busy lately, and it has rained so much lately all of the local riding areas are flooded out. I don't see how you could adjust the pre-load enough to make a difference, but honestly I have not had much time to work on it since I installed them. I figured it had to be some adjustment or something stupid I was over looking, but I looked at it the other night in the garage and I could not see anything.

PaleRider, the AT Steelers are a big difference over stock. My bike has probably around 4Gs in the suspension and I'm still running Works. I have tripple rates with rezzies up front and the Ultra in the rear with rezzie. Works very well for the abuse I put them thru. The only bad thing is they don't have all the adjustment as some others, but if set up for your weight and what you ride they're still a huge improvement.

My works are the same way, the rings are loose and when they were new it was annoying as ****. I don't know if they just stopped making noise, or if I got used to it, but I don't notice it anymore.

As a side note, i wish I would have forked over a little more money for some better shocks, elkas or something. The works are an improvement over stock, but they could be better, and 6 months later one of them is already leaking oil. Pisses me off.

I've heard a bunch of times before that Works and PEP are constructed using the same exact parts, only difference is the valving and adjustability. I'm not stating this as fact because it's just what I've heard, but it puts it in perspective that Works really aren't too bad for the money. YamaRider, Elkas aren't really much better from the factory. Everybody I know that has them says when you get them the valving is horrible. Most send them off to be worked over at GT Thunder or Derisi or some place like that. They sure do look pretty though ;D

Yep, the stock 450r shocks with a GTT or Derisi rebuild are badass. Much better than a set of off the shelf Elkas for half the price.

I don't see how that can be possible... No effence at all. Even the lowest standard Elka built for you should handle great and fit you to what you asked for, better then stock.. correct??

You'd think so, but look at when you buy a set of Works and they're "built for you". You weigh 170, you get shocks valved for a rider from 150-200 (just throwing numbers out there). There's so much more that goes into them from a good shock builder (I keep mentioning Derisi and GTT) that make them SOOO much better. Seriously, a set of stock 450r shocks with a GOOD rebuild and valve job will be much better than the off the shelf Elkas. Watch the GNCC races, you'll see a ton of guys running what looks to be stock yfz and 450r shocks, but they're not stock they've been rebuilt. Much better quality at a fraction of the cost.

Oh and you're correct, the lowest cost Elka will be much better than stock, but nowhere near what it's capable of with a rebuild.

Ok I see what your saying.
If you where to take a Elka and rebuild it to what you would a stock 450r shock then they'd be about the same in ride quality?

You got it. But the stock 450r shock with the rebuild will be about half the cost, including the cost of the shocks.

You know how much the rebuilds cost him? I'm guessing he's much happier with them than the Elkas then?

F-ing thread jackers! Just playin'!! Here's a pick of what I was talking about. My preload is definately not too soft.
Mywarrior2.jpg

You see where the arrows are? I have the rings spread apart with my fingers. You can adjust when the stiffer lower springs take action by adding or removing these rings. Problem is like those guys said they clank and rattle and get on my nerves. I don't think theres anything wrong, but it's annoying as ****. As for the ride, SOOOO much better than stock. I know alot of you guys are shock snobs and I have no basis for comparision but the ride was so much improved that I can't imagine how much better the more expensive shocks can be. Elkas must ride like Caddilacs. I also put on a banshee rear shock and that might be an even better upgrade than the works out front. I do alot of low speed technical woods **** and the banshee rear adjusted pretty soft lets me bounce over logs and **** without coming over the bars!

Hmmm...never noticed if mine move like that or not. I have the answer though.... Buy a loud pipe and you'll never hear that rattle again ;D

Back