Question about valve seals......

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenw

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Wolverine that smokes on startup. I have been told that the valve seals are probably worn some and a little oil drips down the seals and burns on startup. I ordered two seals and was going to put them in myself but was told that it is a BIG job. A cycle shop here in town said that it is a 4 to 5 hour job at $65.00 an hour to replace the seals. Is it really that big of a job? He said the motor will have to be re-timed since the head has been removed in the seal repair. Sooooooooo......is it really worth $325.00 to put in $11.00 worth of parts????

Thanks,
AllenW

You could always do it yourself. Or talk to their mechanic on the side and tell him you'll pay him $30 an hr to do it at ur house. I doubt he makes more than that on the clock. I'm sure he'll go for it.

your local bike shop is full of ****. the valve seals are right behind the valve ajustment caps. The head does not need to come off. there are special tools that use compressed air to hold the valves in place while the valve springs are compressed and removed to replace the seals. ANY mechanic can do it with the right tools, try going to go see a jobber car garage and ask if they can do it and if the have the tool to fill the combustion chamber with compressed airm to hold the valves in place. Another old trick, which I have tried and it sucks, is to fill the combustion chamber with rope to hold the valves. It should take about an hour, the head does not need to come off and the only thing that needs ajusting is the valve play which can be done in seconds before replacing the caps. I was a mechanic for 11 years and have rebuilt my wolvy 350 engine without any special tools and it runs like a top. you might also want to ask your local Yamaha dealer, the dealer isn't always the most expensive, shop around, call around.

It's a pretty easy job, I've done it a few times. Do it yourself.

Latest posts

Back