Quad for Dad

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I explained my illegitimate reason and somehow throughout my 42 years I've owned an 84 ATC110, 85 200X, 86 300X, and a 1985 750 Shadow. They were all decent machines but none of em made my weiner pop its thermometer. The Shadow would be my favorite though. Starter was out when I got it and I'd have to run beside it then jump on and dump the clutch as soon as my weight was on it or the tire'd slide or wheel hop like a bitch on 3rd gear. Oh and a crushed velvet seat insert with vinyl around the edge. Didn't blister the ass after summer sun shine.
Lol. I'll just have my dad sit on 'em and putt around a bit, see which he likes. He never did like to burn it when it came to riding. Pretty relaxed.

My dad has a 98(I think) scrambler 500 4x4 and loves it. had it since new

You cannot go wrong with a Honda TRX300FW Fourtrax. THE most durable 4x4 ever made. It's the perfect size, has plenty of pep, is fairly nimble, requires the bare minimum of maintenance, and you can still get aftermarket parts for it. Have two in the family. I've calculated the mileage on my dad's '99 (which he bought new) and my equation comes out at over 40k. I have not done anything to it other then: oil changes, once a year spark plugs, one air filter, rear brake shoes, tires, 3 ball joints, tie rod ends, and valve adjustments. The factory air filter lasted until 2012, the tie rods until 2013, the ball joints 2014, and I only have to adjust the valve MAYBE every three years. Hell, it still has the ORIGINAL HONDA BATTERY NOW ABOUT 17 YEARS OLD!!!!!

I also have an '88 that is equally as tough. As a mechanic, I've worked on just about all makes of quads, and my personal/professional machine of choice is a Honda. Don't get me wrong, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki all make a quality machine. But, for me, Honda reliability and engineering is the way to go. I also feel they are a more comfortable quad. I would NEVER own a Polaris, and the only Arctic Cat I'd consider would be an early model with the Suzuki powerplants. I've actually got one for a resale project, a 2002 250 4x4.

As a side note; if your pop doesn't mind a foot shift model, they are tried, true, and proven. I'd take that over a belt ANY day. Just not my style, and they require no maintenance other then a periodic clutch adjustment. If he'd rather not, or can't, shift with his foot, a Honda ES equipped quad works very well. I picked up a 2004 Honda TRX250ES Recon for my mother back in June. It was a low hours unit that needed some minor repair due to neglect, and other then the older ES system that tends to hold gears when trying to downshift at slow speeds with a load on it, she loves it.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna try for something a bit bigger so it could keep up with my Warrior. I don't think my dad wants to stare at my exhaust when we're in the wide open (or if he wants to switch me). Sounds like I'm gonna go with a Honda. He doesn't mind semi-auto, so I think I'll look for one of those or with ES. How's the Honda Rancher 350? I heard that they're full-time 4x4, and my dad really wants a toggleable 4x4.

The 350 Rancher moves out nicely. Better then the Fourtrax 300. Tops out at probably fifty. The 300 tops out at 47 mph. You can still get a front end disconnect for the older Hondas. Just type in WARN 424 in the ebay search engine. A company called Switchout now makes the WARN 424. It replaces the factory front driveshaft. Shift into and out of 4wd on the fly or standing still.

As for reliability, there is an updated choke cable, which may or may not have been installed. And, there is an updated valve cover gasket. The old gasket was paper, and the new one is stamped steel. Those are for certain (older) model years.

But, really, there are only two ways for your dad to not get left in the dust. Either a 4x4 of 700cc, or larger, or a sport quad. And, you'd have to be riding in a damn field or on a road, with no obstacles, for the bigger 4x4 to actually keep up or pass a sport quad. On the trails it's just too cumbersome to hold the lead with an anxious sport quad rider behind it. It's either that or ride slowly and let him lead.

I don't think I'll be going too fast in the trails. And how is the Grizzly 660? Found one for cheap in good condition. I know it's not a Honda, but don't see many for sale. Right now me and him are really split between the 600-660 Yamaha's, the 400 Suzukis, and the 350 Hondas. You know anything about the Eiger? Found 2 in good condition.

My dad rides a Kawasaki Prairie 400, and really likes that quad. For a 400, it moves really good. With the stock tires it hits around 55mph, and has some unexpected grunt for just a 400cc 4x4. It has decent suspension as well, and reliability is good. My dad's doesn't get much maintenance, and we use it to plow snow, tow trailers, etc. It will honestly keep up with me on my warrior hitting whoops in the sand and in the trails with me going 70-80%, which is about as hard as you can safely go on a public trail anyway imo, but my warrior motor is stock. The only problem with those quads is that there is almost no aftermarket support for them, since they were only made for a few years. Also, working on them can be a struggle at times, but that is true with many 4x4 work quads, since there is so much plastic and fender covering everything.

Last edited:
Hmm...I've seen a few around. I'll try to find one within my price range. I think the 400cc quads will be great for my dad.

Anything bigger and the quad gets hard to fit in trails really. The prairie 400 is around 45.5" wide in the back, so it has good stability but still fits in between trees on trail rides. Also, that 400cc motor has plenty of power.

I see. Anyone like the Eiger? Also have a Big Bear 400 that I'm thinking about.

I've done a bit of work on the 660 Griz. It'll definitely haul ass. While I'm not a fan of belt driven transmissions, the Yamahas seem to do very well. It has a big storage compartment under the seat. Has diff lock and selectable 4wd. Has two means of starting the engine, too. It really is a good quad. About my only real gripe with it is the IRS. It feels much too undersprung and squats like crazy when you mash the throttle. I don't mind the front end getting light in a car when you romp on the gas. But, a quad is a different story.

I have a good deal of experience with the Eiger. Biggest issues I can think of are the fuel petcock and the flywheel. On the petcock, they are vacuum operated, and so there is no OFF position. I've had to replace several because the petcock went bad and flooded the engine to the point of filling the crankcase with fuel. Not a cheap petcock, either. The issue with the flywheel is that adhesive used to secure the magnets fails and they slide around and the ignition timing is all wrong. Many of the magnets get beat to hell, and a mess is created. Expensive flywheel, too. Don't remember what years are affected, but, I want to say 2004-2007. YOU HAVE TO GET THE FLYWHEEL PULLER FOR THAT BIKE! There is no other way to remove it without damaging the end of the crank. Make sure that your dad sits on one. They have a very wide seat, and may bother his hips. I'm a whole lot younger then your dad, I'm sure, and even I don't care for it. That Eiger will flat get though! My old boss, now customer, has an '04 and it has been completely abused. It's now 12 years old and the oil and filter has probably been changed only that many times. Chucks of metal have come out of the engine, it's been flooded with gas on a few occasions, the starter splines have broken off, the flywheel magnets have come loose, the muffler is spinning on the pipe, etc... and it still runs, and it stills works everyday. The engine doesn't even make any unusual noises! Certainly a tough machine.

The Big Bear is another good machine. It's based off the same engine family as the Warrior and other 350 quads. Other then not caring for the handlebar bend and position, I don't mind them. They do have a shift linkage similar to the Warrior, and thus the pivot balls/joints wear out. Also, like the Warrior, you cannot replace the balljoints without replacing the whole damn arm.

Latest posts

Back