Project Wolverine!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atl3128

Reaction score
Okay after reading numerous forums trying to get some good info on an engine build I have decided this is the best boards so far. Well first off i dont have a Warrior but a 2004 Wolverine. I have done several upgrades thus far such as Warn 424 (not installed yet)HMF,EPI clutch kit, K&N w/ clamp on adapter, NGK iridium plug and a dynojet kit. These upgrades have really helped out the performance of the Wolverine but it not enough. I have not to split the cases just yet but instead to go with the 366cc kit. I have purchased an 10.75:1~ .80 over JE piston from ALBA,Cometic gasket kit, and Kibblewhite springs so far. The things that I can't decide on are the cam and if i should port n polish the head. I am leaning towards either the Web 88 grind or the Megacycle 252x2cam. Which one will give the best overall performance and is it worth it to p&p the head? Also what is the most HP I can squeeze out of this motor with these upgrades?

atl3128 said:
Okay after reading numerous forums trying to get some good info on an engine build I have decided this is the best boards so far. Well first off i dont have a Warrior but a 2004 Wolverine. I have done several upgrades thus far such as Warn 424 (not installed yet)HMF,EPI clutch kit, K&N w/ clamp on adapter, NGK iridium plug and a dynojet kit. These upgrades have really helped out the performance of the Wolverine but it not enough. I have not to split the cases just yet but instead to go with the 366cc kit. I have purchased an 10.75:1~ .80 over JE piston from ALBA,Cometic gasket kit, and Kibblewhite springs so far. The things that I can't decide on are the cam and if i should port n polish the head. I am leaning towards either the Web 88 grind or the Megacycle 252x2cam. Which one will give the best overall performance and is it worth it to p&p the head? Also what is the most HP I can squeeze out of this motor with these upgrades?

The 252x2 cam would be pretty sweet if your looking for more low end power and torque. The 88 grind by web is also a good, but you will give a little on the bottom to the Megacycle cam. Both would work good and the 88 will give you more of a mid range hit where the Mega more of a lower hit. All depending on where you want the power to come in and still be drivable when doing mud bogs with big tires.
I would recomend for sure doing the raptor carb mod with and upgraded air box tube and mods. This would help greatly in the HP and torque of your machine.
I bet you'd be looking at around 26 to 29 hp depending on the tune.
I wouldn't recomend much of a porting job maybe sending to FST would do you some good but your looking at around $200 for that.

What about oversized valves or an edelbrock carb are they worth the money?

atl3128 said:
What about oversized valves or an edelbrock carb are they worth the money?

I personally think the z400 carb mod is a better carb for what you want to do and that being a 4x4 with big tires. The design of the carb is better for what you are doing if that makes more sense. A flat slide carb won't make the torque of a CV style as that of the z400. Plus I hate the fact that it doesn't have a choke. Just my opinion.
Get FST intake tube and filter with no lid if you ride in a locations that allow you to do that and you will pickup good amount of power.
Oversized intake valve.. for the money of porting and machining of the head you could put that into a stroker kit and be better off. FST claims that with the oversized intake that it actually hurts flow into the combustion chamber. I've heard otherwise from other engine builders so its hard to know what is true and works. I suppose they all have there tricks they do to make things work the best for them.
Personally I think something like a good 3 angle valve job would work good and not be a whole bunch of money.
It really all depends on how much you want to spend.

I have the z400 carb but I'm not sure what all I would need to make it work. Also what does the fst intake tube look like and how does it work ? I already have the K&N w/ the proflow adapter is the fst tube better?

Back