problem with street bike

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xshiftxz350

Reaction score
ok well i got this 97 katana 600 and well i cant set the idle i toke apart the carbs cleand'em made absolutely sure they went back together and well same thing keeps happening the rpm keeps jumpin cant get a steady idle ????what can it bee ???

I'd start by looking for an air leek on the intake. You may want to try using a propane torch, DON'T LIGHT THE TORCH! Just turn it on so gas is flowing out and with the bike at idle move the torch around the carbs and intake boots. If its sucking any air in the engine sound will change with the torch tip close by.

Do this at your own risk but it's only a lil gas...

is it a water cooled engine? If not, and I know very little of the katana's only the early GSXR's, it's possible its the valves.

The Kan-O-Tuna's engine is the same as the GSXR, oil cooled.

Why did you disassemble them in the first place, and were they varnished up inside?

If the bodies were off the rack, chances are they need to be synchronized again with a tool something like this:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0411
Unsynched carbs will more likely cause it "gallop" at idle, kinda like a car with a big cam in it. I wouldn't think it would make a runaway idle like you're describing.

My bet on the "racing" idle is an air (vacuum) leak such as a torn or cracked intake manifold like the Warriors get. A plugged idle air circuit/pilot jet will usually make it simply miss at idle, and cause a spongy, lazy throttle response. I use WD-40 on the manifolds when installing the carbs to keep from kinking or tearing them, and work them on slowly till all are seated the whole way.

If the bike has individual air filters (Dynojet Stage III or similar) or has the airbox removed or modified, the fuel metering will be ALLLLLL over the place. If the bike is stock, you MUST have the box hooked up with filter, properly.

CV carbs are that finicky.

Last edited:
Yea I was thinkin about taking it to suzuki for they could sync them and yes I toke them of I. Have started the bike in maybe 2 years and well I toke apart the whole bike to get it re-done and well I always toke of my carb quite easy and well this was the hard one and yea thought they maybe dirty so I toke them sure enough the jettin were clogged so cleaned it up put it back together ...bike is all ready to goo then this problem started ? But yea I have it rejetted with k&n clean no box with yoshi full exhuast but thanks for the help I bet it some thing dumb like I didn't tighten the carb all the way to the rail or something ..... ill jus take what I got and go with it....

Back