Possablie timeing chain issues i dont know i need help !!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giovanni1894

Reaction score
I have a 2002 yamaha warrior i origanly bought it from the last owner an got scamed he said it needed a carb cleaning an a new battery i rode it for a test drive an it died as i was turning an thought i just didnt give it enough gas so it stalled an payed 900 for it an i couldnt get it started ever again until about 500 later i had put a new used wireing harness performace CDI an new stator )all electric cuz i had no SPARK) an oil in her an soon i fulled the oil up i had it runng the whole day starting up (by kick start starter was pretty much dead too but i got a new one like 2 weeks later) it ran but at times like crap an worse to the end of the day when giving it too much gas an it would bog out i just tried selling it today an the guy was a mechanic he said the tentioners problably wore down over time like they do an no one tightened the chain an it skipped teeth thats why it doest have SPARK an wont start or runn no more oh an he was saying there might be a bent valve i wanna believe him because he said he didnt even wanna buy an another guy who looked at it said it sound like a bent valve clacking

So my question is what parts do i need to fix this exactly ? im in highschool an i have a full auto shop so tools an machines are not really an issue an im pretty go with fixing thing im just not able to really diagnose the problem

Kick starter?? Warriors don't have kick starters. Some earlier ones had pull starters but not on 2002 models. If you are going to change the timing chain and tensioner, there is a chain guide on one side of the chain that sits in slots in the jug and head then on the other side is a guide that the spring tensioner pushes on to keep the chain tight. You will need both guides, chain, and a flywheel puller for sure. The rest should be just metric sockets and wrenches.

There is a link on this site to the manual that can be downloaded and has illustrations showing and telling what needs to be done.

I'm so confused.

No spark is likely a stator issue.

You can check the valves and cam chain on your own, its super easy to do. And valve chatter on out machine is extremely common, there loud to begin with, but you can check your rocker gapping and reste it, its likely that there off.

So, start over, does it currently have spark?

The tensioner on these is automatic. It is spring loaded with a detent and has no adjustment that has to be done as part of regular maintenance. That doesn't mean the chain hasn't stretched to the limit of the tensioner, though. No one seems to worry about the chain when it wears at the pins and can break causing major damage. In your case, though it sounds more like an issue with the stator or some other part of the ignition.

Okay i still dont have spark as of today i got 2 new spark plugs wasnt them an pretty much every thing that has to do with the electrical aspect i replaced brand new including a new stator

When i said kick start i ment i had a friend push me down a drive way an put it gear an it would kick over

Well if you have all new electrical, you need to get out an ohm meter and start getting numbers off your stuff. You can test it all except the CDI and Rectifier.

Let us know what numbers your getting. (off stator and coil)

Its turning over off the starter button, but you have no spark. Correct?

Well if you have all new electrical, you need to get out an ohm meter and start getting numbers off your stuff. You can test it all except the CDI and Rectifier.

Let us know what numbers your getting. (off stator and coil)

Its turning over off the starter button, but you have no spark. Correct?

yeah itn will turn over but no spark

an i have a used stock wireing harness an stator from rm stator and not sure about the CDI

an with getting my hands on a ohm meter im not so sure about because i dont think my auto instructor will want to let me walk outta school with a tool like that... is there any thing

oh an something i just remebered theres been a few times i think i would blow the fuse but it would still be all in tact just it wouldnt work cuz as soo as i put in a new fuse it would work fine idk if that might be a problem there or what

Kick starter?? Warriors don't have kick starters. Some earlier ones had pull starters but not on 2002 models. If you are going to change the timing chain and tensioner, there is a chain guide on one side of the chain that sits in slots in the jug and head then on the other side is a guide that the spring tensioner pushes on to keep the chain tight. You will need both guides, chain, and a flywheel puller for sure. The rest should be just metric sockets and wrenches.

There is a link on this site to the manual that can be downloaded and has illustrations showing and telling what needs to be done.

can u -please give me the link to that i cant find it please

The free manual is in the tutorial section.

If the fuse is popping, you have a band ground somewhere.

Ohm meters at harbor freight are $5 and work just fine.

Back