PLEASE HELP...very,very hard to start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your running way too lean. Put a bigger jet in it and it will deff help with the starting.

I already told you the problem is the stator now you say its not charging so that would probably fix that to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Just get a new stator. If you don't think it's bad get a ohm meter on it and test it. 99% sure your gonna see its bad or weak. Your just chasing little problems instead of the larger issue.

^^^Agreed, at least partially...Get a multimeter on it and run the ohms because I had the hard start problem your having and it was a bad pickup coil. Running a ohms test will narrow it down. Because my quad was charging however I deduced it was the pickup coil bad. Since yours isn't holding a charge I too suspect with near certainty that your stator has gone bad.

update...boy im confused...was gonna take everyones advise and order a new stator, but when i looked at the pics of the new stators, the plugs dont match...the ones on mine are round, with the black rubber outter sleeves, like the pre-95s...but the 10th digit of my VIN is a 1....i think i have bought a bike that has been thrown together with used parts...the harness dont look butchered or taped up...now im worried that my starting-charging trouble could be a mis-matched parts problem...what should i do???

run engine vin and find a stator for your motor year. It is not uncommon to replace a bent frame or blown motor with used as I am sure you are aware, just makes some detective work for ya. This platform has been made for 26 years now and MANY parts interchange. Happy hunting!!

Ohm your stator and pickup coils before you order anything. More then likely, that is the cause of your problem. Everything you have described is nearly spot on for when these bikes have a bad stator, right down to "it won't start on it's own or with starting fluid, but I pull start it and BANG! fires right up". An engine needs 3 things to run: compression, spark, and fuel (needs air too, so really 4 things). If it won't start with starting fluid, you either have extremely low compression, or you have an ignition issue. Since it will eventually start on it's own, I'd lean more towards an ignition issue. However, if you have access to a compression tester, test the comp just to cover the bases (remember hold throttle wide open when doing a comp test). If that proves good, then you know for certain it is an ignition issue, and you atleast have some idea as to the condition of your engine.

There is an downloadable manual here on the forum, download it to get testing specs and procedures, get ahold of a mulitmeter, and possibly a comp tester, and take from there.

Back