PLEASE HELP...very,very hard to start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGL381

Reaction score
ok, im about to pull my hair out....Here is the deal...01 warrior very,very hard to start....all stock...done all the obivious, fuel,spark, compression....I practically run down the battery every time i try to start it. When it finally does start, if you snap the throttle, it completely cuts out....almost dies. And if it does die, or you cut her off, she wont start back, even after running for a while...the dang thing wont even start with starting fluid..(and yes, im being careful with that stuff)....somebody PLEASE,PLEASE help...i know im missing something. I have already changed the plug, and rebuilt the carb to factory specs...oh yea, it also seems like its not charging...related???

When you say you practically run down the battery when you start it, does it just keep turning over or what?

yes, it will turn over until the one way bearing starts getting loud...and the weird thing. all of the sudden, out of the blue, she will fire....oh yea i forgot this...we tried pulling it off...(the wife pulled me on her polaris).. and it fired up instantly....Havent owned this thing but a month or so, so im new to Yamahas...

weak as in how?...it will turn over really well, normal...till the battery gets weak...if you mean how the engine sounds,i guess normal...while it cranks over, its got good output from the pipe...and good suction at the carb....

Yeah that's what I meant. Do you have any mods that affect the engine? As in exhaust, big bore, carb mods etc.?

nope...shes bone stock...and it started and ran great when i bought it from a guy on cl...i rode it around his place for 10-15 min....shut it off 2 times...started right back. But by the time i got home with her, she was hard to start...i guess she didnt like that 20 mile ride in the bed of my truck...

Pull the head and check valves. One could be stuck. I had this same problem. Except mine would never fully start. My valves were stuck and broke and my piston was chipped

well a friend suggested checking the valve clearance, but i havent went that far yet...i guess im a little hesitant to tear her down because when she runs, she runs like a raped ape...i really feel like its fuel related somehow. When its running, it seems lean......just afraid its something simple, and i have a tendancy to walk ten miles to go across the street...if ya know what i mean...

From my experience:
You flywheel may not be spining hard enough
Or you carb needs cleaned also check your floats in your carb

i will try that...Thanks....How does a weak CDI act?...are they like the ones on a car, either good or bad?...and what about the stator???....can they be weak?...I have blue spark at the plug, but not a "fat" blue spark like my clymer manual says...

Its a bad stator if you can pull it and it starts I have fixed a couple of them with same problem

1)I'm not sure about the CDI because I haven't experienced any problem with it
2)As long as you have a good blue spark it should be fine. But either you check it or have a motorsports place check it
3)VERY good you have a clymers manual. It will be your best friend

i will try that...Thanks....How does a weak CDI act?...are they like the ones on a car, either good or bad?...and what about the stator???....can they be weak?...I have blue spark at the plug, but not a "fat" blue spark like my clymer manual says...

If your CDI is bad it wouldn't evan start, put in the right plug and all that other stuff, than try it, if it don't work then maybe something with the stator...

But he said it doesn't have a fat spark I'd bet its the stator

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Love my clymers.lol. Def check ur spark. If it was running fine b4 then it might just be sumtin silly. I replaced the whole ignition system all cuz I over looked a stupid wire:)

update....today, with hot battery whipping it over, she started a little faster. I let it idle for 3-4 min then shut it off with the handle bar switch....then no start, or at least not fast...hat to turn over 40-50 times, then only started after a few revs with the choke closed...Once again i let it idle some, throttled it up a few times then shut her off....once again, very hard to start back. When she is running, a quick snap of the throttle causes a severe, almost dying, hesitation. A slow throttle up is fine....I looked over the wiring (ground, coil connections, harness pigtails)...found nothing...sooo im still scratching my head...the hesitation sounds so much like fuel issue but i have been in the carb 3 times...i just dont get it.....

Back