Pissing gas.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt there a vent hose on the back side of the carb at the top by the air filter box. i have to check tomorrow but im sure there is maybe thats what you were thinking of.lol

Yeah it's either a miss adjusted float. Leaking/stuck float, bad seat and needle or the drain for the screw is open.

I would very first thing is to try to make sure the drain screw is not stuck open.
ok, remove the fuel bowl on the carb with the gas hose attached.. (make sure before the float is in good, not suck and has no leaks) open the petcock and see fuel flow past the needle and seat.. now push the float up. Does it seal and no more gas leak? If yes I would say something wrong with the float or it's miss ajusted. Check to see if it's with in spec. You will have to pull the carb off if you want to get right on the nuts. If it doesn't seal then you have a problem with the needle and seat. Clean carb in that area and repeat.
Float height should be set to 11.4 to 13.4mm .45-.53in from the manual.

Alright guys. Thanks a lot for all of your help. I'm going to write all of this down and go try it out right now. I'll take pictures and stuff and get back to you.

hey giraffe02 i was alittle drunk last night when i talked to you. best way to test that screw is pull the bowl off and fill the bowl with water. if water runs out the drain hose you have a leaky screw. if it doesnt leak out than you have a mis adjusted float. too many rum and cokes last night. i should have told you about that test last night.

hey giraffe02 i was alittle drunk last night when i talked to you. best way to test that screw is pull the bowl off and fill the bowl with water. if water runs out the drain hose you have a leaky screw. if it doesnt leak out than you have a mis adjusted float. too many rum and cokes last night. i should have told you about that test last night.

hahaha no problem at all man, $h!t happens. i tested the bowl and that screw is put in all the way. i also pushed the float all the way up and then turned the petcock on and no gas flowed through the carb. the only thing i can think of is that the float is not adjusted correctly. i am going to check that one after a quick lunch break. my friend also told me that it could be some tiny @$$ needle thing. he showed me where it belongs and there is definitely no needle where he said there should be. could this be causing my problem?

alright so here's the stripped screw
045-1.jpg

and here is the place where i am said to have a needle
049-2.jpg

i cant really see this pic. i see the accelerator pump with the spring on it. but where are you talking about for the (missing)needle. can you take another pic and use a pen to point it out to me.

my friend said that there is supposed to be a tiny need in the middle of that spring. that is what the picture is supposed to be of, the accelerator pump. is there supposed to be a needle inside it?

alright so i'm just assuming that everything that is supposed to be in my carb is in it. the only think left is the float level, which you seem pretty confident in the fact that it may be causing my problem. just double checking, but you want me to adjust it a little bit, reinstall everything, run it, and keep adjusting until it's perfect?

yeah just bend the tab towards the carb so it raises the needle higher into the carb. very very small increments til its right. if you bend it to much you wont get enough gas. you may have to do this several times til the float is in the correct spot.

yeah just bend the tab towards the carb so it raises the needle higher into the carb. very very small increments til its right. if you bend it to much you wont get enough gas. you may have to do this several times til the float is in the correct spot.

I personally would just adjust it to the factory spec's that way you only have to do it once and not screw around.

Also float height adjust the fuel mixture for whole carb.

alright guys so here's the scoop. i adjusted the float bowl back to factory specs which was a very very tiny adjustment. i reassembled everything and turned the gas on. to my surprise, there was no leak. i was really happy and started the quad. i rode it down the road and back a few times and it was still running like a total champion. i stopped and there was no leak. my friend took it for a ride and when he came back it was leaking again. this is the same thing that happened last time. why is it only leaking once the engine warms up?

alright guys so here's the scoop. i adjusted the float bowl back to factory specs which was a very very tiny adjustment. i reassembled everything and turned the gas on. to my surprise, there was no leak. i was really happy and started the quad. i rode it down the road and back a few times and it was still running like a total champion. i stopped and there was no leak. my friend took it for a ride and when he came back it was leaking again. this is the same thing that happened last time. why is it only leaking once the engine warms up?

I'm going to take a guess and say that there is something wrong with the float itself then.
I know this sucks but I would take the bottom of the carb back off. Remove the float put it in some gas see if it floats. Let it sit for an hour to make sure. Hell I'd let it sit over night.
If it does float you are going to have to figure out why the float is getting stuck down and allowing fuel to flow past the needle and seat.

I would put my money on this over a miss adjusted float as really how can it get miss adjusted if you were having this problem before and never removed the bottom of the carb. All my years of working on stuff, while I check this adjustment I maybe have seen one that wasn't adjust correctly.

I'm going to take a guess and say that there is something wrong with the float itself then.
I know this sucks but I would take the bottom of the carb back off. Remove the float put it in some gas see if it floats. Let it sit for an hour to make sure. Hell I'd let it sit over night.
If it does float you are going to have to figure out why the float is getting stuck down and allowing fuel to flow past the needle and seat.

I would put my money on this over a miss adjusted float as really how can it get miss adjusted if you were having this problem before and never removed the bottom of the carb. All my years of working on stuff, while I check this adjustment I maybe have seen one that wasn't adjust correctly.

Alright well the good news is that I fixed the leak... kind of. So what I did was readjusted the float until it didn't leak gas anymore and started the quad really easily. That is all set now and I am more than happy. Problem is, I am having yet another problem. This time, I don't even know where to begin. I took it on two quick rides to check if everything was alright. The first time everything was great and I came back to my house and it still wasn't leaking. The second time is when I really ran into some problems.

As soon as I hit 5th gear, it bogged down and stalled. I have no idea why this is and it's weird as all hell. It happened twice too. I restarted it and got quite literally 60 feet from my house and it bogged down and stalled again in 5th gear and I had to roll into my driveway. It seems like I shut the key off or hit the kill switch but it only happens in 5th gear.

The only guess I can possibly think of is that it has something to do with my starter switch assembly. My starter switch currently doesn't work and I have to start my quad by gapping the solenoid. I was thinking that maybe it is some kind of electrical problem associated with the killswitch in the handlebar assembly. That is, unless someone thinks it's still carb related. :yell:

Latest posts

Back