PC Ram

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinacez

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't know alot about pc's and lately my laptop has been shutting itself off. When I restart it, windows says there was a major system failure and then checks it online. Then it says there may be a problem with my RAM. Can I change the RAM on my laptop or do I need to buy a new pc?
Thanks

You can try replacing the memory, but that doesn't guarantee that the problem will be fixed. There's other stuff that can cause similar problems. You may just end up buying new memory for a laptop with a bad motherboard or cpu. So i guess the question is, are you feeling lucky?

that is, unless you know somebody else with a laptop that happens to use the same kind of memory. If they let you, you could try swapping out the memory and see if it fixes your problem.

If you mess around with the memory, be careful with static electricity. One little arc and you may have even more stuff screwed up. Have the laptop on a solid table over a hard floor. Stand up, don't sit down, because that's just another chance of building up a static charge. And of course don't wear a sweatshirt or anything else that will likely create static.

There might be a program error on the disk, did you try doing a system restore?? Also how full is the hard drive, if you have too much stuff saved to the drive, system performance may suffer.

I have 40gb harddrive with only 15gb used. And I pretty much just use pc for surfing and email. I have a couple games on there but rarely use them. I am going to see if I can buy some RAM at BestBuy tomorrow if it's not too expensive! Is RAM for laptops all the same or do I need to buy specific for laptop?
Thanks guys!

Laptops aren't standardized like pc's are. Between all the different manufacturers, and at the rate technology moves, there's probably hundreds of kinds of laptop memory out there.

What's the make and model of the computer? Maybe I can do a search and figure out what you need. I can at least give it a shot.

The last time I was working on a laptop for somebody, I coudln't figure out the problem for sure, but kinda figured it was between the motherboard, cpu, and memory. I looked around ebay, and found the same computer that had a broken screen, but still booted up normally. So we bought that for about $90, swapped internal parts, so his laptop is working good, and he's got a bunch of extra parts in case something else on his would break like the cd drive or keyboard.

Back in high school I used to buy laptops for dirt cheap on ebay that had broken power connectors, fix them for less than 5 dollars, and then sell them for 4 times what I bought them for. With the spare time I have lately, I should get back into doing that again.

I have a... don't laugh, a Sager(Midern) laptop. I received it free after my last one crapped out 3 times with just 1 month left on a 3 year warranty. I cannot find a model # on it any where!
Is it hard to reformat? I might try that first!
Thanks

Its a lil tough just pic a nite and take your time its basicaly you deleting --EVERY THING-- off your pc then installing it again..

Latest posts

Back