painting wheels!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysisk13

Reaction score
Does anybody have any tips on painting the wheels on my warrior? type of paint , sanding, etc.... Im getting tired of yellow front tires and aluminum rears.lol

Ive painted the rims on 3 camaros my warrior and 1 vw lol
I like rustoleum, but different brands have some better colors I usually just use black i look for specialty paint that doesnt need clear coats
for sanding it depends on what shape your wheels are in or if there clear coated or have scrapes or gouges
clean all your rims first real nice b4 and after sanding then make sure theyre all dry b4 painting
unless your taking the tires off the wheels to paint the whole rim, just get some tape(i use frogtape works great)and tape around the rim so you dont get anything on the tire then just tape some newspaper around the rest of the tire get a nice layer of primer on there and your good to go with whatever color you want

you can use index cards around the rim also. if you are goin black i would get the bed liner stuff i here it works good

The index cards work great.. I've done that before.
As far as paint goes Krylon fusion is pretty good stuff. It has a flexing agent in it, and holds up really well.
I painted the wheels on my 4x4 with it 4 years ago, and it still looks good.

I've also used the dupicolor wheel paint before to. But it only comes in a few colors, and is kind of expensive.
As far as using rust paints, I would kinda shy away from those cause they don't hold up well to abuse. But if you use an adhesion promoter, and clear coat them after it would probably work just fine.

i used masking tape and a high grit sandpaper. And also used the cheapo paint and they have held up really well for me. I would just get new rims before i would powder coat. But thats just me...Im glad you are painting them tho! hahaha

I have always had very good results with the krylon Fusion easy on the pocket book and looks good for what it is

Im kindave leaning towards the fusion paint. I checked out the krylon fusion last night and there was a satin and a gloss black and it was around 4.50 a can which isnt bad at all. Did you guys put anything over it after it was on or just the fusion itself and how many cans do you think i will need?? I believe they are steel beastly and yamahauler but i double check later today because i was told the front tires/rims and the front shocks came off a blaster. Which i really dont know why you would put blaster shocks on a warrior unless they are just a better quality suspension setup?

Back