Painting Frame

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcombs0064

Reaction score
I know the right way is to have it Powder Coated. But there isnt a shop around were i live in 100Miles! Kinda pitiful i know! But i wanted to ask you guys what would be the best way? Sand it down and use a gun? or just use spray paint and clear coat it. Im gonna go with something different and Paint my frame orange! Orange and blue goes pretty good together ;)

I have done mine. After its to bare frame sand it down with sand paper or at least thats what i used, then i put a good coat of primer the 2-3 coats of blue or orange which ever your doing. then i did another 2-3 coats of clean coat. And I just cans of Paint from wal-mart, but i didnt use the cheapest paint they had. I did mine up with metallic black on the frame and true blue on the a arms and swing arm. I looked great and was well worth it. And plus it will give it that custom look to!

PC is the way to go. I just used spray paint. If its done right it will last awhile. Get it sand blasted and use a good primer2 coats, then color coat, then clear it. Preperation is key for any paint job to last.

Thanks guys! i'll have to sand it all by paper! Gawd thats gonna suck haha! But im like you all i like to be diffrent! what Grit should i use on the frame? and swing arms? i'll paint the frame and Swing arms orange, and the plastics are blue!

Id say first degrease the entire thing and make sure it is as clean as you can get it. Start with maybe 80 or 100 to get the most off and work up to 180 then 320 and you should be good to paint. Make sure you clean it very good again before painting

you can get away with 220 grit and sand the entire frame, feather the rough spots and rusty spots..no need to sand to bare metal, then prime 2 coats and then I use duplicolor pewter t408 paint (silver) and no clear...when the frame gets wore out by where the boots rub it, I just get old beer case cardboard and hold it behind the area and touch up.. not a warrior but my kdx

IMG_1737.jpg

I got all kinds of De greaser! What dose brake fluid do on it? Im gonna break it back down after i break the engine in! I just now got it all put back together. Whats the best way to break em in? ive heard 234234235 stories, Howd you all break yours in?

I thought I was the only one that liked the orange frame idea.

Last edited:
Haha i love the orange frame because its diffrent!

And thanks for the heads up on the brake fluid! ive never tried it before. i always used alcohol lol

i bought a gallon of lackor thinner at pep boys a year ago and use it for final wipe down on everythingbefore painting

I'm planning on painting my frame with rattle can this spring as well...are there any paint brands that are better than others... in areas such as durability, coating, and gas resistance?

ive heard Krylon is really good man. Are you gonna Sand your frame down to? Or just take a wire brush to it lol.

rustoleum professional enamal is good stuff it holds up well.. i use regualr rustoleum on my frame.. a little brake cleaner on a rag to wipe away the overspray and your back to looking new again..

Yes, Krylon is about as good a spraybomb as you get, IMO.
Regular Rustoleum is oil based. Shiny at first, but is soft and will dull/scratch faster than Krylon.
The Rustoleum hammered paint is cool, pricey, but dries hard and chips kinda easily. I did some trim around my house with it, and it is NOT UV friendly, it dulls very quickly. Did the front control arms and various small parts on the quad only because it looks cool. I don't expect it to last like powder coat, but should be worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back