Painting a-arms

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkndwarrior350

Reaction score
has anyone painted their stock a-arms and swingarm? i know spray paint will just chip and look sh****. If someones painted these what did you use?

For the swingarm spray paint should hold up fine, it really doesn't come in contact with anything except for maybe some brush at the bottom. I don't think that any paint is going to last very long on the a-arms, unless you ride track only. Powder coat would be the only thing that would hold up, and with the ball joints being welded into the arms, that's out of the question because of the heat involved with powder coating.

when i painted my stock a-arms i just used a single stage paint with some hardener in it and it held up pretty good but what i did to prevent chipping is cut a strip of that tread paper (looks like black sand paper with an adhesive back). I used it on just the lower arms and it worked great.

I was gonna try to use 3M paint protection on my lowers after I paint them. Its a heavy, clear vinyl protectant that they use for chip gaurd on car hoods and rocker leading edges.

Rust-oleum hammered spray paint ;D
quadduring-front.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

Seems to be holding up well so far,2 years 20 or so rides.I did the swingarm and a-arms with it.I did use 2 coats of Zero-Rust primer on all the metal(you should sandblast it all first)the heavy primer is the key to tough paint.If I had the duckets I would powder coat all that :p

I used some blue krylon, it has held up ok, seems like I'll have to paint the lower A-arms every year to keep them from rusting :mad:

100_1462.jpg

has anyone ever tried that spray on bedliner? was just wondering if it would hold up

i would spend the extra money and powder coat them

The stock a-arms can't be powdercoated, so it's really not an option, regardless of how well powdercoating holds up. A-arms that are durable and look good don't do you any good when the ball joints are ruined.

or the roll on....its cheaper....you can apply it to amlost anything i think it would work

i've heard of utility guys putting it on their racks and pegs. seems like it might be an option for a-arms

[quote:kydo3pf1]or the roll on....its cheaper....you can apply it to amlost anything i think it would work

i've heard of utility guys putting it on their racks and pegs. seems like it might be an option for a-arms[/quote:kydo3pf1]

I painted the bottom of my frame with it.... doesnt seem much stronger than paint, and i put about 17 coats on if i remember right. Coats build the thickness.

that sucks that it isnt much stronger than paint. thanks for the info before i wasted money on it

Are you saying that the spray on bedliner is as good as paint or the roll on stuff?

so i might as well just use spray paint over the spray on bedliner?

he's saying that the spray on bedliner isn't any better than paint, and will still come off.

he's saying that the spray on bedliner isn't any better than paint, and will still come off.

It a little better, but your still dealing with surface adhesion. It not really about the paint its about getting it to stick good. however i wasnt really impressed. Maybe if it was sandblasted it would stick good

[quote:nxxczcaj]he's saying that the spray on bedliner isn't any better than paint, and will still come off.

It a little better, but your still dealing with surface adhesion. It not really about the paint its about getting it to stick good. however i wasnt really impressed. Maybe if it was sandblasted it would stick good[/quote:nxxczcaj]

exactly

Back