One way starter clutch issue please help!!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmanz71

Reaction score
This past weekend we disassembled my engine for a complete rebuild and to install a DID timing chain what we did was we took the allen bolts out of the fly wheel and this obviously separated the large idler gear form the one way bearing piece. we went to re assmble it and would not go over the shoulder on the large idler gear without a little persuasion... we got it on of course but we cannot make the idler gear turn either way by hand when it is bolted back onto the fly wheel is this normal?? and any help is greatley appreciated!!! ??? ??? ???

thanks

matt

mattmanz71 said:
This past weekend we disassembled my engine for a complete rebuild and to install a DID timing chain what we did was we took the allen bolts out of the fly wheel and this obviously separated the large idler gear form the one way bearing piece. we went to re assmble it and would not go over the shoulder on the large idler gear without a little persuasion... we got it on of course but we cannot make the idler gear turn either way by hand when it is bolted back onto the fly wheel is this normal?? and any help is greatley appreciated!!! ??? ??? ???

thanks

matt

The flywheel should turn freely one way and not the other. To removed the flywheel you pull it off along with the large starter gear on the back. In fact the large idler is not held on by anything. It is free to come out of the one way. The allen bolts hold the one way clutch assembly on the flywheel. I would say take it all back appart. Everything should just slide together meaning no effort should be had to slide the idler and one way together.. The flywheel has to be pressed on with the flywheel bolt.

I am familiar with the procedure on removal and install but the bearing will not let the idler gear spin either way when in or out of the bike???

mattmanz71 said:
I am familiar with the procedure on removal and install but the bearing will not let the idler gear spin either way when in or out of the bike???

Then the one-way is fucked. Take it appart and see what is wrong. They slide together with no effort.

Back