Oil Pressure check after oil change

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just changed the oil in my 98 350 warrior.
After following all the directions it says to do a oil pressure check.
I have done as the directions says Put a cloth around the cylinder and then slightly loosen the oil gallery bolt in the cylinder head, Start the engine and keep it idling until oil begins to seep from the oil gallery.
No oil seeps , I drained the oil again and started from step one again and still have the same results?

Can anyone give me any Ideas Please

Running great prior to this issue

Thanks,
BabyGirlWarrior :(

how long did you let it sit and idle? how loose did you make the bolt? i know mine takes a few seconds (which seems forever because your afraid its not getting oil and a few seconds seem like 10 minutes lol). if you just spun the engine over with the spark plug out, it takes even longer to get oil up there than with it running. the cylinder head is the last part of the engine to receive oil, so it will take just a few seconds before oil will begin to come out of the gallery bolt.

double check all the steps to change the oil, such as making sure the oil filter is in right (which i really dont know if there is any other way you could possible put it in than the right way).

last, how do you check the oil level on it? for warriors, and a lot of other machines, you pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, then just sit it back into the hole, without twisting it back in, and then pull it back out and see where the level is on the dipstick. thats the right procedure to checking the level on these.

if your afraid something is wrong, just read the book and check everything you can think of that might be causing the problem. it would seem strange that you developed a problem just when you changed the oil but things happen. let us know what you come up with, and hope you get it going again.

I didn't know anybody bothered checking that. I changed the oil in my warrior 10 times and never once checked it, and never had a problem. I don't see a reason to, as long as you put oil back in it and put the oil filter in the same direction as the old one came out (you can put it in backwards, the spring loaded bypass valve on the filter should be towards the engine)

I'm going ask the same thing as 91 warrior, how much did you unscrew the check plug, and how long did you let it run before you aborted the mission? I would think that plug would have to be almost completely out to see oil seeping from it, and it will take a few seconds for the oil to reach it especially after changing it.

Never pressure checked mine.........if your really freaked about it......change the oil, run it, then take of the cam cover and see if the oil is getting up to the head. If so then your good.

If it's only like half of the way in it will start spraying and dumping oil everywhere. On mine it only took a few times of turning it over with the starter (the pickup coil was bad so I didn't have spark). Basically you want the screw to be backed out from the copper washer a little, otherwise you may have a mess to clean up. If you still don't get oil within the 30 seconds than plan on replacing/checking the oil pump and making sure the pipe or filter isn't blocked. The pipe could potentially leak I assume as well. Take all precautions, a head replacement can be around $1000, so it pays to play safe.

Thank you all very much. I did finally get her to seep oil, I did not ever find out why it would not the first, or the second time. I guess third times a charm. I backed the screw out three turns every time.
Thanks again, BabyGirlWarrior

Good news.....so, you ever post up pics of your quad yet? Cool to see a female war rider on the site. I'd love to make a girl graphix kit for a war dog some day. Perhaps It could be yours?

Latest posts

Back