oil in airbox???????????/

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanxj

Reaction score
I keep getting oil in my box!!! i know it is coming through the vacuum hose from the case? Why would it do this. It doesnt have the OEM line But i am sure it is the same inner diameter since it fits snugly on there?

its a 95

my gf's 94 doesnt do this. (stock hose)

thanks

or excessive blow-by, but that would be a ton of blow-by i would guess. as said above, check or oil level. how does it run? does it start real easy?

runs fine. well it would pop and die with a hard hit of the throttle. But i had a crack in the manifold (bought a new one today)

and the level is fine. i mean this thing will take the level down quite a bit after a good long ride.

Any other suggestions?

hmmm do you roll it everytime you go out? (gotta ask).... maybe a ton a wheelies would cause it...

no no wheelies or rolls lol. It is coming out of the tube down by the shifter? wouldn't blow by come out above the cylinder (does in trucks)

im a little new to working on quads lol.

What tube down by the shifter are you talking about? The overflow line on the carb could be routed there, I really don't understand how you're getting oil down there though.

Not sure how blow by would come out above the cylinder. Blow by is when the combustion gases are slipping past the rings into the crankcase. If it was bad enough it could be pushing oil back out of the breather line. How much air is coming out of the tube when it's running? Just barely enough to feel it, or a significant amount?

I'm not sure about the warrior, but my Suzuki 350 dirt bike's crankcase breather is large diameter like the warrior's but has a small orifice in it near the engine side. This is designed to let vapors out but prevents oil from splashing out. I'm not sure if Yamaha uses this design, a quick look at the stock one on your gf's 94 would tell you easily enough though.

there isnt alot of air coming out. And my gfs is just a straight tube. I unhooked it earlier and rode it awhile, there was still a little bit of coming out.

And it is not the carb line. it is the line that goes from the snorkel to the case by the spot that says yamaha above the shifter

I wouldn't consider the breather port to be near the shifter, that's what confused me.

How positive are you that the oil level is correct? How are you checking it? Run it for a couple of minutes to warm it up first, then, pull the dipsitck and wipe, insert without threading, then pull it back out and take the reading.

If you're only getting a little air out of the breather tube, the oil level is definitely right, then i'm just about as stumped as you are.

If I were you I would temporarily route the line to where you can see it while riding, and see if you can figure out what situation causes it to dump the oil, or if it's a steady spray of it constantly. Try to find some kind of pattern, like it only comes out when you turn right, when you're hard on the throttle, when the engine is hot, etc. Just watch for anything that might help point us in the right direction, right now we don't have much to go on.

Do a compression check.... sounds like your losing some of your cylinder pressure into the crankcase forcing oil out the breather. Might be time for a rebuild

YamaRider said:
How positive are you that the oil level is correct? How are you checking it? Run it for a couple of minutes to warm it up first, then, pull the dipsitck and wipe, insert without threading, then pull it back out and take the reading.

wait... insert and check withOUT threading?? i thought you threaded it until it was seated ??

sorry to dig up the dead just browsing..

ya i thought the same ^ and im having the same problem as the guy that originally started the thread.

No, with Yamahas you definitely DO NOT thread in the dipstick when checking the oil level, read your manual. It varies by manufacturers, some are designed to thread in, others like yamaha are to be left unthreaded.

ahh crap.... thanks for the info.. just looked it up: "note; DO NOT screw in the dipstick." ::)

Did anyone come to a conclusion with this? My friend is having this problem.

We went on a 45 minute ride and he had problems with it bogging out. When we got home the air box was about half way filled with oil hense the bogging situation.

it was blowby. Put new rings in it and honed the cylinder and no more oil ;)

ha yea i did it last winter!!! barely rode at all this year seeing as ive had my starting issue that i made another thread about

Back