Oil Cooler????

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daro2244

Reaction score
Do I really need an oil cooler??
and is ok if I use yamalube oil 20W 50 , I live in MA.
thanks for your help

i dont know but where in mass u live? mayb we could go riding this summer i have some nice spots not tracks but my freinds uncle owns a cranberry bog and he let us build jumps there with a big payloader

you should run 10w 40 most atv's or dirtbikes use that, but use a atv specific 10w40 i use honda's oil just because my dealer doesnt stock yamalube, but the atv oils are made for the smaller fourstroke engines which can exceed 14000 rpms, where most cars rarely reach 4000. and the oil cooler is dependent on your mods and riding, i tend to ride hard, so i havent had an oil cooler on mine, and i rroached most the topend parts, but the valves and rockers were just from the previous owner never adjusting them. but if you ever notice that the transmission has problems going into neutral, like it wants to go to second when your trying to go to neutral, you should probably do the oil cooler. and since mines a stock bore/cam im going with the big bear setup, bought the piece off ebay for $10 then the 6x7 tranny cooler from ebay for 30 w/shippping

Thanks everybody for the input. Here is what is going on; I bought the ATV like 3 weeks ago and I drove it once because I don't have a trailer yet. The person who sold the ATV to me said that the head has a big bore kit almost 430cc but gave me no more info and I lost contact w/him. The question is, If he put a 430cc big bore kit ... why was he using the stock muffler?? I also don't know if I have to jet it or if it is already done. Since I have never driven an warrior before I don't know what the difference would be. All I can tell you is that my friend's 2007 honda 400ex beat me by a lot.

You are right hawkster0001 it gives me some problems trying to get the neutral on when it was hot. I installed a used big gun evo x system and it sounds nice.

cycygrace - I live in Lowell, MA. Sounds cool, I have only been to the trails in Derry, NH.

[flash=350,287:4tm02i7w]http://www.youtube.com/v/IkSVLApC154&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:4tm02i7w]

they dont actually make a kit, its one of those things that was discovered over time. both setups that have been used, use a small automotive cooler that most autoparts stores carry. the easiest since your still stock is get an adapter from a big bear. the harder way is to drill and tap the clutch covers oil galley. heres a link to the tutorial : http://www.trx450rforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4235

mickey dunlop has a kit you can buy at fourstroketech.com i believe... but he will also straight up tell you to go to the hardware store and save money

thanks guys; but what about the 430cc thing and the jets.... is that possible???, how can I tell?. I just want to Know what I have and go from there to new mods

i dont know about 430cc thing ive never heard of it. as far as jets have you ridden it since you put that pipe on: if so does it pop on deceleration. you can also look at the plug and judge jetting that way.

daro2244 said:
thanks guys; but what about the 430cc thing and the jets.... is that possible???, how can I tell?. I just want to Know what I have and go from there to new mods
the seller was probably BS'n you you cant bore the cylinder past 366

1998yamahawarrior said:
i dont know about 430cc thing ive never heard of it. as far as jets have you ridden it since you put that pipe on: if so does it pop on deceleration. you can also look at the plug and judge jetting that way.

you know what, yes I didn't really drive it but when i hit the gas and let it go i can hear the pop on deceleration but not to much.
oh man I wish some of you guys can see the atv and tell me what you think ,I hate not knowing what's inside and in what condition it is.

<s>it could probably use to have the main jet bumped up one size then.</s> of coause if your gonna mod the air box at all then it may need a little more.

backfiring on decelleration is the pilot jet needing to be bigger... and/or fuel screw needing turned out

Back