Oil cooler setup...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surftouch

Reaction score
Just need someone who has done the oil cooler setup to give me the quick run down....I bought the big bear adapter off of ebay for 15$. Now I just need to know what else do I need Behind that adapter, I was reading the write up, but theres no pics... Just need someone to tell me what all I need to get to make sure that I dont but this on, run the lines and cooler, and get no oil pressure...Just need to know:

What oil filter
What spring or O-ring

Anything would be much help...

Thanks!

Look at an online parts diagram for a 95 yamaha big bear. You will need all the parts associated with the filter cap/oil cooler adapter. There's a spacer, the cap itself, a spring, washer, disc, and o-ring. Just go to ronniesmailorder.com and look at the microfiche, actually seeing the parts diagram should answer those questions for you. If it still doesn't make sense let us know.

Also, the oil filter for the big bear and warrior are the same, buy one for a warrior or big bear and they'll work just the same.

what year oil cover is it? and did it come off the 350 or 400?

nevermind i did the clutch cover mod. Im selling the cover now, came off of a 350 1997 big bear

100_2692.jpg

100_2697.jpg

100_2690.jpg

ive been thinking about the oil cooler allot and this looks like the setup i would like too use... my only question is how does it effect your room too shift it looks too me that the shifter is bent slightly in the pic does this effect shifting smoothness or anything im not sure what the word is im looking for thank you.

I honestly think that the clutch cover mod is the way to go, I did it in about an Hr. it also cools the crank and bearings first. Just my 2 cents

surftouch said:
I honestly think that the clutch cover mod is the way to go, I did it in about an Hr. it also cools the crank and bearings first. Just my 2 cents

I agree to, but what if you screwed it up? You would have to buy a new clutch cover. This is simple, bolt on and bend the shifter linkage. And yes you do have to bend it slightly but it still shifts fine you just have to get used to it because the shifter is closer to your foot.

sanburg41 said:
ive been thinking about the oil cooler allot and this looks like the setup i would like too use... my only question is how does it effect your room too shift it looks too me that the shifter is bent slightly in the pic does this effect shifting smoothness or anything im not sure what the word is im looking for thank you.

With the stock shifter you will have to make a slight adjustment to get it to completely clear the big bear adapter. Absolutely nothing close to as much as it's bent in that pic, i'm not sure what the deal is with that. Either bend it out a little bit (less than 1/4" will do it) or grind a little notch in the shifter and you wouldn't even have to bend it.

With that adjustment, the cooler will not affect shifting. The stock shifter is one of the worst parts of the warrior's design though, in my opinion, I can't stand linkage shifters in general. Once you've rode something with a direct shifter, anything else feels like crap. To work with the big bear adapter you would have to custom make your own direct shifter though, There were instructions for making one in the tutorials section at one time, but by now the diagrams and images probably don't work anymore. Basically it was just cutting up a stock banshee shifter, putting a couple bends in it, and one weld. I had one of those on mine and it was one of the most worthwhile improvements I did on the warrior. No more missed shifts, no more loose sloppy linkage, just a good solid feel with reduced shift time and effort.

floridaredneck said:
surftouch said:

I agree to, but what if you screwed it up? You would have to buy a new clutch cover. This is simple, bolt on and bend the shifter linkage. And yes you do have to bend it slightly but it still shifts fine you just have to get used to it because the shifter is closer to your foot.

Just dont screw up idk, I just did it step by step and it worked really great

That oil cooler looks very close to the one I got.
When installing the oil cooler on the clutch cover you get "cooled" oil directly on the crank bearing as oil is coming out of the cooler and goes right to the bearing. The big bear setup basically cools the sump.

Just dont screw up idk, I just did it step by step and it worked really great

you said you did it step by step... is there a link you could give me to those steps for the clutch cover mod?

Latest posts

Back