Oil Cooler question.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester2899

Reaction score
well the only reason i put it on the top of the frame is becasue its the furthest point away from the hot engine and it gets the most wind and air hitting it making it cool much better then having it close to the engine, getting cooled but hot just from the heat coming off the engine.

probably another reason it is not in front of the motor is you still want air to pass over the head fins to provide extra cooling but one mounted on the frame with a small electric fan would be good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Warrior-OIL-COOLER-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ43977QQihZ023QQitemZ360020748591QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Im thinking of going with that. Can anyone tell me how difficult drilling the clutch side is and whats involved in doing it? Do I need to pull my engine? any noticebale gain in HP from this or is it just a lower operating temp? can anyone post pics of the drilling of it, and what does the direct shifter have to do with anything?

Yea Idk, it would probally fit under the hood, but also right in front or somewhere else. If it I can put it right in front of the engine when I am going The air would blow through the cooler through the engine then out the back wouldn't it? Idk, Im just wondering if it would be enough to cool it. I was also wondering if there was anything really small that can be used? So it can fit somewhere and still look cool. I was thinking of using one of those round coolers for engines on atvs?

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-SUPER-COOLER-BANSHEE-RAPTOR-R450-YFZ-450-KFX-450_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ011QQitemZ320214197901QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

thats the one I am talking, probably to small, but what if I used two?

I went a step further and bought the AN fitting cooler and AN fittings and stainless steel braided hose.

Picture177.jpg

Picture176.jpg

And with a little bit of cutting on the fender and it'll fit snugly under the hood.
Picture005.jpg

That looks really nice and sleek. How much did everything cost you?

Could you give an estimate of how much hosing you will need to go from the clutch cover to the cooler under the hood?

You'll need about 6' of hosing, and no those types of coolers really won't work as air dosn't pass through them.

Dave, do you happen to have the part# for the cooler you bought?

For all you guys wanting to do the clutch cover mod, you'll need to drill and tap the cover. You'll need an 11/32 drill bit. Start by removing the clutch cover and drilling a hole through the crank oiling hole inside the cover, use a drill bit the same size as the hole, then from the outside drill the hole bigger to the 11/32 size and tap threads in using a 1/8 pipe tap. Then drill another hole 2" above the first hole in the same oil galley. Inside the hole their will be a hole connecting the holes you just drilled, get a 1/8 ball bearing using JB weld and put it into the connecting hole to stop the oil from bypassing the oil cooler. Now just screw in a set of 1/8 pipe x 5/16 barbed 90° fittings connect your two oil lines and your done.

what I like most about the clutch cover mod is the fact that that it's mostly out of the way of sticks and ****... also allows you to have a direct shifter setup.
Right now has been the biggest pain in the ass for me as I've cut the oil lines before I made the skid plate on the frame and also shifter is all worn to f and trying to find a shifter to clear is a real pain in the ass.

Dave I was actually looking for the cooler with AN fittings like you used, the link has the cooler w/barbed. Also how did you mount your hood I don't see the lower tabs, I believe they would be right where your cooler is on the frame rail. Sorry for all the questions.

Back