oil cooler info

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah he's right, an oil cooler does didly if your stopped, but were using oil coolers because most of us have modified engines which DO produce more heat even while riding. Lots of Harley riders with 100 plus cubic inch motors run oil coolers for the same reason. A stock Harley makes about 65 HP, so adding 50 HP will produce extra heat.

If your running standard bolt on's I wouldn't worry about an oil cooler. BUT once you add a higher compression piston and cam, it would be a good idea to add and oil cooler, Stock a Warrior makes about 18 HP with said mods a warrior will make close to 30 HP.

Basically you can believe what you want. The warrior engine was designed for 20 hp, with a low compression piston.
If you now look at the 4x4's in that have this same engine they do sport oil coolers. Why would Yamaha do that if this did nothing?
He talks about being a quart low on oil and how you've reduced the cooling capacity by 30 percent. Well what do you think happens when you add an oil cooler, not only are you adding oil volume but adding a radiator as well which does make a difference weather your stoped, moving slowly or at 60 mph.

I never said I thought ole' dude was right (didn't get how pressure would take a significant drop as long as the volume was compensated for), just thought it was an interesting read. I always like to hear different opinions and view points. I also think he was referencing a stock motor when stating his opinion, and never referred to a modified motor.

Has anyone ever tried installing a electric fan to blow across the cooler (especially people who have ditched their lights) to aid in cooling while at a stop?

Back