OEM radial tires

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
Yamaha brags about how the tires on the Raptors and YFZ are specially made just for those bikes.
But then you hear people bag on the stock tires and how you need to put on "Brand X" tires on for a big improvement.
Are most of these people just jumping on the band wagon and parrot talking stuff they have heard and not really going from personal experience? I find it hard to believe that a lot of these people with 2 year and older bikes even know how the quads ride with OEM tires since their OEM tires are probably long gone or worn down to nothing.

I personally do not know because I still have on my OEM tires. There is no arguing that a radial tire will be smoother riding and maintain a better contact patch with the ground. (that is what radials are known for because of the way the cords are ran.) Granted a special tire for a special type of racing will be better but for all around riding are aftermarket tires really that much better? So far I really like my OEM tires, they look cool, do well in most conditions, slide very predictably, do so-so on hard pack but are really smooth and help smooth out the ride and landings.

If the after market tires are so much better, why does Yamaha not use a better tire? It is not as if the Dunlop OEM tires are cheap, in fact they are more expensive than most aftermarket tires.

What are your thoughts?

The stock tires on your rappy aren't nearly as bad as the stock ones that came on the warrior. The newer designed stock tires aren't that bad in my opinion, but because they're designed to perform good all-around they're not as good as a tire designed for a specific type of riding. In my experience the stock tires on just about any machine will wear out quicker than they should, and are very weak when it comes to puncture resistance.

Oh, and about the prices of stock vs aftermarket. Yamaha may sell them for $70 or so, but you know there's no way they're paying more than $15 per tire in the large amounts they buy them in. Buy the same tire through somewhere other than a yamaha catalog and you can get them for like $25 a piece, that's what a similar designed dunlop tire sells for at the local powersports shop.

Back