noisy chain when moving

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorgirl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After working on my quad for the last two days... replaced intake boot, cleaned carb and replace airfilter, also greased all joints and gave the quad itself a good clean. Its now up and running and seems to be going good. Only thing is when in motion i noticed a rattling noise coming from the chain. Does this mean it needs to be tightened? Or new chain? Or something else?

For your chain adjustment about 2 inches of up and down play meaning when you grab the chain you can lift it one inch and let go and then push down and should move 1 inch giving you 2 inches of play.. As far as the chain is it a nonoring chain they get noisy when not well lubed and check your chain slide and roller to see if there running straight and not damaged..

Ok so i dont know alot.. lol what is a nonoring chain? If its what i i have then how do i lube it. Theres two rollers and they are both plastic.

I noticed theres rust on the chain, should i spray it with some wd40? Can i use any chain lube?. Im not sure how to take it off or tighten it either?

WD40 works great. An o-riung chain has little rubber rings that are pressed into each link. Non o-ring chains can be a bit noisier,but, take a look at your chain rollers. There are two, one above the chain, one below. They are plastic, and wear out regularly. They sould be a little over an inch in diameter. If they are worn super small, or are missing, you need to replace them. DRW makes THE best rollers you can get.

They look a little worn. My chain seems pretty loose.. im trying to research how to tighten it. I know where the two bolts are that tighten it but im not sure which big bolts to to loosen before i tighten it. Does anyone have a picture of which bolts to loosen? Im so confused....

top is a 17mm bolt head with either a 19mm nut or 14mm nut and bottom is a 14mm nut ( on the other side of where I'm pointing is the nut just loosen a little bit and then loosen the 2 12mm lock nuts on the adjusters and turn in the 10mm bolts to tighten the chain.

Check your carrier bearings for play. My friends raptor350 started to make lots of noise and we track the noise down to the bearings.

Get your chain warm and then spray chain wax on it, side, center and other side, it will melt in and quiet it down ;)

Ok, i think its an oring chain, so is lube and wd40 ok to just spray straight on? Also another question. I wobbled my front right wheel and it seems to have a bit of play in it, i check that its on tight and it is, what could this be?

Ok, i think its an oring chain, so is lube and wd40 ok to just spray straight on? Also another question. I wobbled my front right wheel and it seems to have a bit of play in it, i check that its on tight and it is, what could this be?

Wheel bearings needs replacement.

Chain wax is good, but, I've seen dirt stick to it. Dirt doesn't stick to wd40. I'm sure they will be fine. I only use Pivot Works, Moose, or All Balls. I have the Pivot Works tapered roller bearing kit, and it rolls SOOOOO much better. 70 bucks but well worth it.

Chain wax is good, but, I've seen dirt stick to it. Dirt doesn't stick to wd40. I'm sure they will be fine. I only use Pivot Works, Moose, or All Balls. I have the Pivot Works tapered roller bearing kit, and it rolls SOOOOO much better. 70 bucks but well worth it.

I'm with pat I have pivot works all around in my bike and love them. I use pb on my chain and have no issues

ok just reminding anyone that I really don't know much about anything lol. I really wish I lived near someone that new everything about them mechanically. I took it for a ride today on the trails and it seems to be going good. has sort of a ticking noise though? and when I let of the throttle and push it back in whilst moving it has a bit of a I guess wacking sound (not sure how to really describe it)

Latest posts

Back