No spark? Read this.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warriorfreak99

Reaction score
Seeing alot of no spark threads/posts lately , I understand that there aren't really any straight up procedure threads on here for testing so here goes, anybody else feel free to add your knowledge and please correct me if i'm wrong. First, make sure all your connections are clean and tight. Commonly overlooked, it could be as simple as a bad spark plug. But you'll need a multimeter for testing ignition components, preferably digital. Set your meter to the ohms postition, 2k if your meter has different selections, Ohm your stator (and by ohm I mean touch the positive and ground feelers on the multimeter to each of the contacts in the plugs coming OUT OF your stator, it doesn't matter in which combination) Refer to pages 284-290 of the pdf service manual for correct ohm readings (here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocy6wk14vs...350_Manual.pdf), and It may just be me but I have the paperback copy of the manual and I think there are different readings for different years. (fill me in somebody?) The source coil, and pickup coil CAN be replaced separately from the magneto itself if they ohm out of spec, but if it's determined that the entire stator assembly needs to be replaced buy either a stator made by Rick's Motorsport Electrics (Rick's Ricky's are all the same on ebay, $150 is about the cheapest you'll find anywhere) or original Yamaha factory parts (VERY expensive) the $40 stators online are usually junk. If the stator checks out fine, move on to your ignition coil and boot, procedure also listed on pages 284-290 in the manual. If that checks out as well take a look at the pickup on the flywheel itself and make sure its clean and undamaged. If all that checks out it is more than likely your CDI unit, there's no procedure for testing the CDI box other than process of elimination. I hope this helps somebody and like I said before more knowledgeable users feel free to chime in and correct me if i'm wrong and add to it if needed. :atv:

had alot of spark issues when I first got my warrior and had a hard time with it so I thought i'd throw all my knowledge out there so someone else wouldn't have to learn it all on their own

Hello, I have also had no spark issues with my '99 Warrior. What I found out after testing everything I could, was that the battery needed to be charged. I had fire when pulling it over, but with the electric start nothing. My battery was at 12.08 volts. After I charged it up, presto fire. Could be something just this simple. I have since bought a battery tender and never had issues again.

Thanks,
Joe

yeah, if the motor isn't turning over enough to turn the flywheel fast enough to create an electromagnetic field in between the coils it won't have spark

Link to Manual

WOW! That manual would be awesome, but i cant get the link to work. Dropbox says it cant find what I'm looking for! Could you please check that link for us? That manual would be a huge help right now! Thanks!

Thanks for that post. Very helpful. If all those steps have been taken and the CDI is verified good, what would you look at next?

Latest posts

Back