no spark....not the stator

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiimbo

Reaction score
i was riding down the road yesterday and my warrior just shut off, like i flipped the off switch. didnt sputter or hiccup, just DIED. i was going down hill so i tried to roll it off again but wouldnt start back. i got it back to the house and checked the stator first, and it was a little high, but i called the ricky stator people and he said it should be between 275 and 300 on the brown/red wires, which mine was 295 cold and 320 warm, but he said it would get higher with heat. the other two wires were at 350, which was also within limits. so, i checked the coil and it showed to be good. plugged in the stock cdi which worked when i replaced it with a procom, but still wouldnt spark. the only thing that is out of spec is the spark plug boot. it shows around 10m ohms, but the book says 10k. but, it was high the last time i tested but still worked. i pulled the boot off to see if it would arc anyway, but it didnt; it should though, right? i've checked the pertinent wires and none seem to be grounded out. im thinking more towards the coil, but i dont know. any Ideas?? :-/

i believe so, i plugged my meter up to it and it bounced up to .1xx volts. what should it look like?

You can't check it with a digital meter, the response time is too slow to pick up a small pulse like that. An analog voltmeter or a test light should work, I think. I never tried it actually.

thanks for the advice. i got it fixed. was related to the stator, but not it itself. the green wire coming from the front had burnt into under the seat. wired it back and she fired right off.

yamarider... i am real curious what the voltage is going from the cdi to the coil... if you could test that, that would be a valuable piece of information for me... and others im sure

in a running machine you should be able to unhook the coil feed wire (orange i believe) and test it with a 12 volt test light. while cranking the engine it should have a fast pulse. the light should blink rapidly,but not go out while cranking. hope this helps

Back