No Spark, No current to the orange wire!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adi Mitrache

Reaction score
Hello everybody. My name is Adi and since 2008 I've been riding an '06 Raptor 350 I bought brand new.

2 weeks ago I got it back from service as I didn't have time to perform the regular maintenance myself(oil, oil filter, air filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, chain tightening, brake pads, suspension check, battery change, etc)

I rode it hard 2-3 times after as I was really happy with the new behavior, but 2 days ago, disaster struck. While drifting in 3rd gear on a hairpin, it started releasing massive amounts of un-burnt gas on the exhaust(there were 3 booms one after another) and then it suddenly came to a stop, leaving me 35 miles away from home and unwilling to start again.

I happened to have a small tool-kit on me which allowed me to remove the spark plug and try to see if it sparks...it didn't...no spark at all.

Today, I went it to install a brand new NGK DR8EIX Iridium spark plug, but that wouldn't spark either. I tried it sticking it to the engine as mass, but it wouldn't spark. I also tried with an NGK DR8EA, thinking that the iridium one isn't compatible, but also no spark.

English is not my first language, it's my 4th so please bear with me as I don't really know the technical vocabulary at all.

I tried to see if the coil(The thing that sends current to the spark plug through a wire and a plastic cap that is attached to the spark plug). That may be the cause, but I think it's further down the wires.

There is an orange wire that connects to the coil and gives it current from the battery, but that doesn't give any electrical current, not even when I turn on the ignition and try to fire the thing. I dint' have a voltmeter, but I tried it with a 12v lightbulb and it wouldn't light.

I also checked all the fuses under the seat and all of them are working.

I don't know the path of the mysterious orange wire as it's packed in a harness so I can't check further than that.

I am at a loss of ideas and I would really appreciate some input as I am desperate to ride this week I have off.

P.S. When I try to start the quad, the electric motor is working and it is moving the cylinder up and down, but I get no current to the plug. Also, all lights and electrical things are working.

Thank You Very Much!

sounds ike a cdi or pickup coil.

the orange wire runs back to the cdi (its the brain that tells it when to fire)

the cdi receives the timing from the crank via the pickup coil(its inside the left side case/cover with the rest of the stator assembly.)

you can ony test the pickup coil, the cdi has no known diagnostic proceduere.

since its a raptor the two pick up wires should be the teail and white wire in that square plug (the wires come out of the left side of the motor in a harness and there is 2 plugs under the left rear fender.)

use a multi meter on them set to resistance (ohms) and see what it reads, should be around 150-200 if it maxes out then your pickup coil is bad, if its in spec then its the cdi.

Thank You very much for your replies. I'm sorry to be such a pain in the a**, but all I know is that this is what I refer to as a coil. I don't know what a cdi is, and I don't know what a stator is in this case(I only know it's the unmovable part of an electric engine.)

P.S. Could please explain to me in lamer terms, what exactly do I need to order and replace?

Coil:

Attachments

• raptor350_electrical.jpg
    raptor350_electrical.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 5
you first must ohm the pick up coil. look at the wires coming out of the motor (left side) folow the under the left rear fender and unplug them and pull em out were you can see them.

Got it! Thank You very much. I will measure the resistance tomorrow and see what it reads.

source coil?

The Source coil is the one under the front triangle shaped plastic that serves as air intake?

The source coil is pressed into the bottom of the stator and it's job is the charge the CDI box.

stators the problem...theres a little thing inside connected to the stator with two wires going to it and if its burnt out like mine was no spark and wont start, just cranks and cranks. hope it helps.

Back