Newbie at Quad motor rebuilds needs some help! :???:

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black&Blue YFM

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have done plenty of car and small engine repair and rebuild, but never a 4wheeler or motorcycle motor. I got a seemingly nice 2000 warrior 350 from a friend for 300 bucks plus some side work. I took the deal and have put some work into cleaning it back up to stock specs both mechanically and visually. The last thing on my list is to rebuild the motor. I just bought a clymers book for it and waiting for it to come in so i can start reading up on how they say to approach the rebuild.

My motor is getting pretty bad now it smokes like a 2 stroke and burns about a quart every hour or two of riding. I have been doing some research and there are a lot of options out there on doing the rebuild, and the replacement parts to put back in after i clean everything up and assess all the damage that the motor may have.

Heres what i need:

1. A good starting point at which to determine what exactly is wrong with it (my thinking is rings and a crank rod because there is a small pinging when at idle)

2. Some good name brands of parts that i should replace my oem parts with per say rings, gaskets, crank rods, and clutches.

3. Will i need to get my cylinder bored or can i assess the damage and try and hone it a small amount and put oem rings back in or slightly larger aftermarket rings.

Thank for all your help in advance!
Looking forward to getting all this rebuilt and reppin the website out on the trails! :tup:

Hello All,

Heres what i need:

1. A good starting point at which to determine what exactly is wrong with it (my thinking is rings and a crank rod because there is a small pinging when at idle)

2. Some good name brands of parts that i should replace my oem parts with per say rings, gaskets, crank rods, and clutches.

3. Will i need to get my cylinder bored or can i assess the damage and try and hone it a small amount and put oem rings back in or slightly larger aftermarket rings.

Looking forward to getting all this rebuilt and reppin the website out on the trails! :tup:

Welcome to the site man.

1- if it smokes all the time its rings, the pinging could be a number of things, usually a bad rod bearing sounds like a low, mid range knock and you'll feel it vibrate bad.

2- as for piston, JE and Wiesco are great products. Gaskets go with cometic. Crank go with Hotrods. And clutch go with DP, there very pricey but there pricey for a reason, i ran one for 3 years stright with no problem what so ever.

3- if its smoking bad like you say its prob a combo of rings and valve seals. Get the next size up piston and get the jug bored to it. The piston kit will come with new rings,wrist pin, and c clips. While the heads off check the guides, and replace the seals. Also make sure the valves are adjusted right, that could be making sound loud tapping if there outta spec.

Hello All,

I have done plenty of car and small engine repair and rebuild, but never a 4wheeler or motorcycle motor. I got a seemingly nice 2000 warrior 350 from a friend for 300 bucks plus some side work. I took the deal and have put some work into cleaning it back up to stock specs both mechanically and visually. The last thing on my list is to rebuild the motor. I just bought a clymers book for it and waiting for it to come in so i can start reading up on how they say to approach the rebuild.

My motor is getting pretty bad now it smokes like a 2 stroke and burns about a quart every hour or two of riding. I have been doing some research and there are a lot of options out there on doing the rebuild, and the replacement parts to put back in after i clean everything up and assess all the damage that the motor may have.

Heres what i need:

I live just down the road from you (by horse town) if you need help or opinions I have just got finished with the top end of my warrior, I have a spare crank I bought off ebay some new gaskets and valve seals too I was going to rebuild another locked up motor that sits in a box in the garage

Welcome to the site man.

1- if it smokes all the time its rings, the pinging could be a number of things, usually a bad rod bearing sounds like a low, mid range knock and you'll feel it vibrate bad.

2- as for piston, JE and Wiesco are great products. Gaskets go with cometic. Crank go with Hotrods. And clutch go with DP, there very pricey but there pricey for a reason, i ran one for 3 years stright with no problem what so ever.

3- if its smoking bad like you say its prob a combo of rings and valve seals. Get the next size up piston and get the jug bored to it. The piston kit will come with new rings,wrist pin, and c clips. While the heads off check the guides, and replace the seals. Also make sure the valves are adjusted right, that could be making sound loud tapping if there outta spec.

:iagree::iagree:

Back