New Warrior Purchase

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbooost

Reaction score
Hey guys, just scooped up a warrior for 1400 off craigslist. Seems to have a good amount done to it and the guy was a mechanic so it was well maintained. This is the description from the ad.

I have a 98 Warrior that has a ton of new parts on it. New Weisco top-end,Chain/sprockets,Brake rotor/pads,Skid plate,Clutch cable,Carb,Carb adapter boot,Air filter ect. It has a Durablue 2+2 rear axle,kill tether,DG nets and bummper,FMF pipe,Renthal bars and great tires! This thing is ready to rip! Does'nt need a thing,has'nt even been out of my yard with all the new parts. And thats the only reason for selling it. The price is firm,and I can give a bill of sale to the buyer. I have a decent size yard to test drive also.

I've just got a couple question for you guys. Did a compression test on it when I got her home and it was 195psi with only 30 seconds of motor warmup prior to testing. I did some searching and I see stock warriors are around 120-130psi in good condition. Is it safe to assume this is a higher compression piston due to the psi reading? The guy I bought it from didn't remember what he put in as it was 2 years ago that it was rebuilt.

I've got a oil cooled clutch cover on the way to me from one of the members on here, I've also done an oil change/filter, greased the rear shock linkage and front a arms, parking brake blockoff/new msr lever and handle, glass matt battery 14 sized, and ordered a hotcam and yz250 shifter. The plug looks beautiful so the jetting seems to be spot on. I plan on doing a web but didn't want the downtime for the core to send them. I've had a couple issues with keeping the durablue axle nut tight for over 2-3 rides, Is there a torque spec to follow? I havent been tightening it as much as I could due to fear of burning up bearings. The quad also has works front suspension on it. It seems to be really soft compared to other sport quads I've ridin, are these things normally very soft on the front? Looking to upgrade the rear shock to match but I can't seem to find any straight answers on to what most people go with. Also the exhaust seems to just be a slip on, the pipe coming out of the head is a stock piece. Anyone seem any gains to getting an fmf powerbomb? or is it just looks? Is the cam going to cause me to rejet the carb? Any help or direction you guys could point me would be greatly appreciated. The quad will barely get walked on by a 400ex w/ pro circuit full exhaust and intake and 150lb rider. I'm 175 and I would just like to be able to keep up with him. Gearing appears to be 14/40 w/ 20 inch tires. Thanks! John.

Edit: Also what cam bearing do I need to buy for the install? I see two listed on the yamaha parts site. Is it the bearing closest to the cam sprocket or the farthest?

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice buy. Lets see some pics.

You get a stage one of stage two hotcam? The bearing is the one closest to the cam sprocket on that diagram. Jetting has to do with air and fuel, changing out your cam will be ok, no need to jet. Warriors are heaver and 50cc's less then a 400ex, so yeah, there gunna be faster. Just learn to ride better. Does your axle nut have a locking bolt built into it? Crank that sucker down and lock up that bolt and it should hold for a long time. Stock header is just fine, I run a PB header but its more of sound and show, then what it costs. Banshee or 01 rappy660 shock is a good rear shock upgrade. Works are a bit on the softer side, but you should have them valved for your weight if you don't already know what they are rated at.

Welcome to the site dude. Enjoy.

cant help with the cam bearings but can on the axel do you have the durablue lock nut? or it it 2 seperate nuts? the power bomb dosent do much unless its ported and polished inside the head but you can take the stock header off and glind some of the weld in the end of the exhaust you will see it when you take it off and it will flow much better with the hot cam what stage cam did you get 1 or 2? i run the stage 1 and it pulls alover the place

I ended up with the stage 1 because everything I read said the stage 2 was for either a stroker or bore kit, I can't remember which. I do have the durablue nut w/ the allen bolt to hold it, the problem is that my allen bolt is stripped. I'll try replacing that bolt and go from there. As for the speed thing, this is in a straight line drag race. I'm riding best I can he's just got a little more power than me. Any of you guys running a 10:1 or 11:1 piston? Ever done a compression test? The first two pics are the craigslist ad pictures. I'll have to detail her soon and take some more.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

if i was to judge by your psi ratting on the compression it has a 10.25 or 100:1 piston in it and the thing with the hot cams JUST ABOUT EVERYONE IS WRONG is that the stage 2 is a mx cam and the stage 3 is the stroker cam everyone always gets that wrong pretty sweet bike you got there like the colors

Not according to the Dennis Kirk book, HC2 is for the Stroker Kit... the book never lies, lol

Thanks guys. I'm getting a 1080p phone this week so I'll have to snag a video of my current area I ride. Any of you guys in the northeast area? CT?

I'm from New Jersey, but right on the PA / NY border. So about 2-3 hours away from most of CT.

I was thinking more of the New England area. OH is a bit of a drive from me.

Back