New Warrior owner :)Ur mods? Gains?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow82

Reaction score
Hey all. This site kicks ass.
I just bought an 01 warrior for 1500 bucks.
Its in damn good shape, just needed a cdi box.
I took it out this weekend, all weekend, rode 6 gallons of gas worth (im sore as hell!!) not one problem. I love this thing.
All I have ridden b4 now was hondas and I am very impressed.
P.S. all the hondas I have rode turned to sh^t.
I was just wondering if I can get any avail. info. on the best mods for warriors and gains expected. I am an auto tech by trade and willing to do anything to my quad. My father-n-law was also an atv/bike mechanic for 25+ years so im not completely on my own here.

I would really like to hang with my buddies z400 so any comments will be greatly appreiciated..

Thanks All!!!!!! :)

Look around on the site, you'll find plenty of mods, usually people start out with flipping there tires (widder stance), than taking the lid off their airbox, new exhaust, than a cam and a high compression piston. I'm also running with a z400, man that things quick.

Also...see if you can find someone to port your cylinder head. It's usually not too expensive since it's only 2 ports and it's well worth it if you're gunna be running a bigger cam also.

like i've said in other post i swear by my hmf exhaust. it has great low to mid and sounds like a million bucks. then get a K&N maybe take your airbox lid off. im not sure of how much power they add but i think im gona get a cam for mine. im also planning on getting an edelbrock carb, since everybody says they like them. then look into tires such as maybe some razr 2's or holeshot hd's and suspension.

p.s. thats a great deal for an 01 warrior if its in good shape. i paid that much for my 98 but its in awesome shape.

Yeah, it was a pretty sweet deal. I forgot to mention the last owner JUST put on a set of brand new holeshots and aftermarket wheels. Poor guy said he had took it to yamaha and they couldn't find out what was wrong!! WTF he put a brand new battery and wiring harness on it trying to figure it out himself. He just got tired of messing with it, said he didn't ride much anyway. I knew the compression was good and it was getting gas so there really wasn't much left to figure out.

Good luck comes with a price though..I locked my keys in my truck today, dont have a spare, cant get ahold of the locksmith, and I feel like a dumbass.

Have any of you tried a white brothers pipe.
I heard one guy claiming 12hp.....from a wb pipe....sounds like b.s. to me.
Thats a hell of a claim!

12 hp..............I have one, Its not very lily at all.

Ya have AAA on your truck? They'll come unlock it for ya!

**CAUTION LONG POST**
**CAUTION LONG POST**
**CAUTION LONG POST**
No that's is wrong, you won't see 12 hp from the pipe. Hell, outside of a shot of nitrous I don't know of ANY single mod that will net you over 10 hp. I have a WB E series, and I love the pipe, I like how it sounds, and I also like how it performs. I think with my current mods you'd be able to squeeze 2-3 from the pipe at most.

Just about all of the pipes available for the warrior will yield similiar results. BUT The different companies will put the power in different parts of the power band due to the length of the pipe. HMF is one of the shortest (I think) so most of the power is in the low-mid end of the spectum. Where as the Yoshi is longer, and is more of a top end pipe (compared to the HMF)since it's a bit longer.

When it comes down to the header pipe, it's not that important, it will breathe a Very little bit better with it, but not enough to notice any significant difference.

Cams: There are a few out there, The one I have is just about ALL top end. The previous owner had it put in, and I want to pull it and put in a good midrange cam, since I really can't take advantage of having it in that much. But for you, it depends on what kind of riding you do, most people are more than happy with a quality mid range cam.

Intake: There are 2 basic upgrades, Both the Uni Kit, or the K&N kit. They both have available aluminum mounting plates for the airbox (make sure you get that!). There are upsides to each,
--K&N: replaceable filter, and shake it out and rinse it for cleaning. and Outerwears to make it water resistant.
--Uni: water resistant with out the Outerwears pre-filter due to the filter oil. But when you clean it you need to get the kit to get rid of the oil from the filter, have to wear gloves, re-oiling the filter prior to installation... (I'd go with the K&N in most cases, and I have a UNI)

Flipping the front wheels: It's a good idea, makes the Warrior handle Much better, turns tighter also. But When they are flipped, the tires will grab on more debris, and sides of ruts, which can cause the tie-rod ends to snap, which is a Major PITA. (there are some pretty easy done things to make it less prone to happening) You will also need some shorter filler stems for the inflation of the tires since the valve stems are now facing in and will rub on the brake rotors if stock length.

Tires: You have that covered already.

Porting: You may notice a slight bump in power, but it would only be from the engine able to expell the exhaust a bit better, nothing too drastic.

Piston: There are a few companies, Most on here will say stick to either JE, Arias, CP or Wiseco. I run a Wiseco, and I'm happy with mine for now. I may end up switching to a 10.75 JE just because this one is getting old, and starting to wear, so why not get a little boost in compression :)

A-Arms: There are a few avenues you can follow here, and they depend on how much bank you want to spend on your components. There is the ASR a-arms which for the +2'' and the +2'' brake lines should run you anywhere from $350-$400 which is what quite a few of people on here have been going with recently.

Axle: there are also a few choices here and some people are Very loyal to what ones they ride. Just If you buy a Durablue, Don't go with the lighter Eliminator x-33, I have heard of Those bending quite often due to the thinner materials used.

Suspension: Few choices here also, some lower priced ones, such as superior suspension, have a similiar construcion to Works, but not paying for the name. Then there is works, good shocks, a lot can be done to/with them by you and the company. And then there are the higher end shocks such as Elka, Axis, and PEP. Depending on the model you buy, it may be the name your paying for, or it may be well worth the money.

Other than the stuff I listed, it's all downhill from there man, lol j/p. But after those mods there isn't much you can do other then physical stuff like nerfs, kill switch, lighting, things like that. That just about covers it though. Good luck, if your interested in any items in particular just ask, we'll be able to help you out.
~Bill

Thanks for all of the info guys. Very appreciated. I think I will get an aftermarket filter like the one Tarnished sugg. I took a look at the stock one and I dont see how that thing could stop all the dust from getting in. Drop in??? I dont see how it seals. I put somthing behind it so it fits tighter but still looks very scary to me. I ride in a LOT of dust! Mainly from that damn z400. Just kidding havent got to ride w/him yet but that thing is pretty quick.

First I think I will aftermarket air filter, Mod air box, put on a pipe and jet. do ya think I could hang w/the z? Sorry to bring it up again but I would like to beat his pompus ass. Talks alot o ****. Nobody else round hear has a warrior.

When I replaced cdi box I put on an aftermarket one those is Supposed to add 3 hp and 1000 rpms. Got it off ebay for cheaper than an oem so figured there wasn't much to lose???
Anybody tried one? I dont have an original to compare to.

I would like to know witch jets you all think I should run. And does anyone know where I can get upgraded tie rod ends. ( I do lots of riding by myself in places w/no cell phone signal. )

You guys are great, keep the info coming.

p.s. I dont have aaa but I got ahold of the locksmith...35bucks, lot more expensive than an extra key. lesson learned:)

Oh I forgot to ask, my shift linkage is pretty sloppy. Looks like it could break soon.
Does anyone know where I can get a better one??
I read about some of you guys making a direct fit w/a 400 ex shifter, but I want to install an oil cooler and read they would interfere w/one another???

Where can I get an oil cooler setup?

There are 2, well was 2 for sale in the classifieds section, not sure which are still available. Ohh and to save yourself a few bucks the next time you lock your key in your truck. Have a key made tomorrow at lowes, home depot, or any of the home improvement places, clean off a section of your frame on your truck, then duct tape it to the frame very good. In like 2 days or so, you shouldn't even be able to tell it's there, and If this happens again, ta daa you can open your own door. (if you couldn't tell it has happened to me a few times).

And for the shifter, you can use the 400ex shifter for now, I think I have on a KTM250 shifter (not definate) but that required less bending then when I had the 400ex shifter. and there is another shifter that will work as a direct link, with even less bending then the KTM one I think I read on here. Put the direct shifter on for now, and when you pick up the oil cooler, then look around for someone to fab a shifter. (I think a banshee, again not definate, shifter is a good place to start as to having one fabbed, can cut and weld in an extension in 1 or 2 places, and it is close to stock location while still clearing the oil cooler lines/cover)
~Bill

Back