new quad for my son

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frit91

Reaction score
So, my kid has a hoopty Kawasaki Bayou 300 and wants a different ride. I have tried to talk him into a warrior but he aint buying what I am selling. He wants a completely automatic like a polaris or arctic cat. He is 14 but small for his age, he is about 5'3" and weighs in at about 95lbs. He handles my warrior fairly well but don't want one of his own. My question is do any of you guys have any experience with polaris or arctic cat? Are they good machines or a hunk o ****. He is wanting nothing smaller than a 300. Do they have much performance or are they slugs? I have ridden an arctic cat 500 4x4 and was not impressed at all. What do you guys think?

So, my kid has a hoopty Kawasaki Bayou 300 and wants a different ride. I have tried to talk him into a warrior but he aint buying what I am selling. He wants a completely automatic like a polaris or arctic cat. He is 14 but small for his age, he is about 5'3" and weighs in at about 95lbs. He handles my warrior fairly well but don't want one of his own. My question is do any of you guys have any experience with polaris or arctic cat? Are they good machines or a hunk o ****. He is wanting nothing smaller than a 300. Do they have much performance or are they slugs? I have ridden an arctic cat 500 4x4 and was not impressed at all. What do you guys think?

Autos are junk... Autos are junk... Autos are junk... Polaris is junk... Older arctic cat quads are junk (so are the new ones) junk... And I'm also saying is get him what you want to get him and if he complains then no quad... Lol :tup:

Nothing wrong with Arctic Cat really; one of my buddies has one that's a really reliable older one (400cc). Another buddy had a Polaris 700 that he got rid of because of constantly having to work on it. Another of my buds rides a Yamaha Grizzly 4x4 350 auto; it is awesome for the money if you can get a good used one. Bruin 350 4x4 is very good too.

He really should learn to shift though if he wants a sporty bike. Me and my guys only really ride utes! Mostly it depends what kind of riding he wants to do and where you guys ride.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm gonna be bias about autos cause I hate them on a quad.

I hate autos too. He does really good on the warrior but he is into hauling a buddy with him and goin muddin where as I am into getting from point a to point b quickly, sliding around turns, mild jumps and hell raising in general. I thought about a blaster but am afraid he would tump it over often. I also agree he should just take what is offered and be happy, but he is spoiled like I was. I know a few guys with autos and they love them but i like grabbing gears. He has shown me a few on craigslist and surprisingly enough he has been money conscience. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend as far as a decent auto to buy. I already know your opinion Alex, lol. Thanks guys.

Never thought about a wolverine. Are they auto? I thought I saw an add for a newer one that was auto. I like the grizzly idea too. I am a yamaha guy at heart. Always had Yamaha dirtbikes when I was growing up and my first atv experience was a tri z. Have to look into the yamahas. I am kinda working on a tight budget so that may be the deciding factor.

I believe the wolverine 350 built on the engine you all love is a semi auto and the 450 is a full auto. I think a semi auto would be better than a belt drive IMO I do like semi autos no clutch lever to deal with lol

His Bayou has an auto clutch and I dont care for it. Imo, if you are gonna shift, it needs a manual clutch.

I guess my deal is that if I get him one I will want to ride it also and don't want to get one I won't like. Guess I'm just kinda selfish like that, but dammit, I am the paying for it.

How hard do you think that would be Alex? But then that defeats the whole purpose of him wanting a full auto. I have a feeling he may end up with what I want, poor kid, lol.

Well i belive you'd need the warrior clutch components, the clutch cover, and the cable, bracket, and lever.

a teenager that doesn't want a manual? weird

i rode a polaris years ago and thought it was way too heavy. my buddy just got his son a Polaris 2 stroke and we cant ever get that thing to run right. he also has a big bear and a grizzly. both are great machines

He is kinda strange like that. He is big into hunting and wants one to take out with him. The only things we really have in common are sports and riding. Totally different kid than I was. I am really leaning towards bear or grizzly. I can't believe i never thought about a yamaha model. Feel like a traitor.

I know there are Polaris haters here but I had a 2001 Trailboss 325 and only prob I had was the chain and sprockets needed replaced. It ran good and went anywhere and anyone could drive it. I also had a neighbor that had a Bruin that I rebuilt and it was pretty nice too.

The clutch cover is different between the Warrior and Wolverine. But, I remember there being a way to make it fully manual.

Honestly dude, talk him into the Wolverine. Belts wear out and need replacing. If he wants to go mudding, a belt WILL get mud or water in it. Sure, guys will tell you otherwise, but, mud will get in there period end of story. Belts ago get hot when there is not enough air being pushed through their covers. In short, I have always seen belts as a headache.

Semi-auto quads are still lots of fun. We have 3 Honda trx300 4x4 quads and they are a blast to ride. AND, a semi-auto will just about never wear out. I think that if he is being money conscience, the thought of the belt replacement may persuade him. And, those belts are not cheap!!!!

Back