new problem. please read

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake70

Reaction score
I replaced the clutch. The clutch is fine now. the problem is still when i pull the clutch while the bike is in first gear, it locks up like the clutch isnt pulled in. (while the bike is off). my little brother put the bike in first gear and pushed the bike. we didnt feel any compression from the engine. (when normally you would feel the compression from the piston jolt the bike.) we did not have any compression. he thinks the woodruff key is broke. would this cause my bike's symptoms? how hard is it to change the key and how hard is it to get to? also is there anything else i can do to further diagnose the problem. thanks fellas. reading this is probably a pain in the ass to follow... try pulling the clutch off 3-4 times and figuring out the clutch isnt the issue haha

If the clutch was the last they you worked on, and it was fine before. Stay with it being the problem.
If you are referring to the flywheel key, it will not cause the symptoms you described.
Stick to the clutch side of the bike. Something wasn't put back together correctly.

Make absolutely sure your forward/reverse lever on the engine it self is locked in forward. If its inbetween it will not give any resistance.

I talked to someone tonight and I told them I have a driveline clutch. This guy owns a local shop and he told me to NOT use the rings from the original clutch like driveline states. Should I take those rings out? Also should I just start it and see what happens?

I took wave washers off mine! They aren't needed in order to work but like sparky said they do make it a lil less noisey. Have you tried adjusting the forward/reverse lever as 98 stated. That would be my guess as to your culprit also make sure the clutches are tight in the basket and the arrow on the basket and the arrow on the boss are lined up as well...That has messed me up before.

Last edited:
Yeah I soaked them in oil. And my buddy was playing with my reverse lever while the bike was off so maybe it didn't get back into forward. I'll check that for sure. I might take the wave rings out is it a big deal to leave then in since I'm tired of messing with it

If the forward reverse lever isn't locked in would that explain why my clutch won't let the bike move when the motor is off and in gear?

Possibly. I doubt it though.

raptorbar.gif

03 Yamaha Warrior
Pretty much stock for now
check out my vids on YouTube
Atv Mayhem

Just went out and checked and you can still move the machine with the forward lever NOT engaged

warriorbar-1.gif

03 Yamaha Warrior
PRM front bumper
AC nerfs
3 1/2" rear spacers
Custom slip on
More to come
check out my vids on YouTube
-Atv Mayhem

You can move it while in gear and clutch engaged? Could it be because I shut the engine off in second gear because I broke the shifter linkage? And it sat in second gear for two weeks?

You can move it in gear if the forward/reverse is not in the right place on the engine, like sitting between them. Ask me how I know!!! When I first put Jar-Jar together and before I first fired it up the front sprocket would do nothing but turn. Finally looked into it and my lever wasnt adjusted right to lock in either one. Adjusted and good to go.

if the lever isn't engaging either gear it would act the same as putting it in neutral no matter what gear you are actually in.. if you are familiar with how a 4x4 truck operates then its the same as putting the transfer case in neutral

Alright gentlesirs I'm at my wits end before I go to a shop... Heres the list of issues...

1. Tires will not spin freely while in gear and clutch engaged.
2. When clutch is pulled it feels engaged but according to #1, it's not.
3. It shifts from neutral to first and to second and back down with the bike off just fine.
4. Forward and reverse lever is fine.
5. I haven't put oil in it because if I have to pull the cover again I lose 20 bucks of oil.

Any other ideas before I take it in?

If the clutch was the last they you worked on, and it was fine before. Stay with it being the problem.
If you are referring to the flywheel key, it will not cause the symptoms you described.
Stick to the clutch side of the bike. Something wasn't put back together correctly.

I'm thinking this too.

I haven't even put oil in it. With it being a wet clutch will the clutch only engage when oil is present? I check the shift shaft and transmission and everything seems okay and not broken. Will I need to put oil in to see if clutch will engage and free up tires?

No it doesn't need oil to dis-engage. It dis-engages when you pull the lever and is engaged when the lever is released. Either way you call it it doesn't have to have oil to move the pressure plate and release the clutch pack.

If the clutch springs are over tightened will that cause my problem?

Back