New Clutch, but what kit?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbthreat

Reaction score
Well, I my clutch is gone, so my riding the Warrior isn't going to happen soon. Oh well, the stock clutch has been in that thing for over 7.5 years; it's due for a change.

Here's the question: What is a good aftermarket clutch kit? Looking to replace plates and springs (have to check basket to see if it is okay from accident). Heard good things about Barnett from a lot of people, Hinson supposed to be okay, and Tusk blows. Your guys opinions are appreciated.

My opinion: Don't go cheap on a clutch kit. Do it right the first time.

i have the ebc upgrade clutch and i love it

If i were you just get a stock one, there really strong and last a really long time. Just look at mine, its 18 years old and its never been changed and i abuse the **** out of it.

I'll vote for the Barnett clutch, I run it in my bike and its pretty tough. Hooks up great, no slippage, nice heavy duty springs.

does hinson make clutches for the warrior/raptor??? do they make baskets for them to...thanks and sorry if that is off topic

If i was going to do it again I'd go with a stock replacement clutch set from yamaha. you know they're good and that they'll last. i have also heard that the ebc and barnett clutch kits are good too though. i have a tusk kit in mine right now and it's been good so far but i really havn't had it long so im not gonna tell you to get it yet. you cant beat the price for the tusk though.

Thanks for the feedbakc. So it's kind of a mixed bag as far as clutch's go. I'm leaning toward the Barnett right now, but has anyone heard of DPK? Really expensive (as far as clutches go)and didn't know if its worth the money.

DP clutches, from what i've heard, are supposed to be the best of the best. Deathshadow really pushed the DP clutches, even at the high prices they sell for.

I looked for that old thread but couldn't find it. If i remember Deathshadow also said the stock clutch was actually better than many of the aftermarket clutches. Just cannot remember which ones.

Mickey Dunlap of four stroke tech recommends the stock clutch over any aftermarket even on his 446 strokers and he used the stock clutch for old 500 Warrior. However I believe that DP clutches are awsome, they run about $150, stock clutch at the dealer is about $230. What ever you decide I would def add an extra old steel plate from your old clutch pack to the new, this will eliminate the pressure plate bottoming out on the clutch boss and letting the clutch slip. After taking the old plates out of my buddies quad I could of probably just added an extra plate and the old clutch would of been fine since it looked like minimal wear on his old friction plates. Just look at the back of the clutch boss, if you see grinding marks at tip of the splines then the pressure plate bottomed against the the boss, mine did, and then I added the extra steel.

Sweet info guys. Well I'm leaning toward either DPK or Barnett. I'll have to see what it looks like on the inside and see whether or not I run an extra plate. All I know is my plates are corroded just in the fact I just changed the oil and only riding it up and down the street to dial it in (after the rebuild) five times, the oil is fouled. Plus with the slippage and the thing revving out but not pulling just indicates it needs replacement. Thanks again.

Dave76 - Where did you install the extra plate? Just in case I decide I need to do that. Appreciated.

It's definitly worth it to add it and it won't hurt nothing.
Right were the arrow is, I put the extra steel right there.
I used the number 10 steel as their a little thinner then the number 11 steels.
1085_clutch.gif

I dont really think it matters where the steel goes does it??.. i put mine on the first steel in the pack from the outside i think.

OEM or DP -> I am pretty sure DP makes a lot of OEM clutches IMO. I run Hinsons Basket, Pressure Plate, and Inner hub but with OEM YZ dirtbike springs, and OEM YFZ Clutch Plates with an extra friction.

I am a big fan of Hinson's Clutch Components but not to fond of their clutches (not that they are bad but OEM is often cheaper and better).

Back