New and have a carb question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth6025

Reaction score
Hi Just got this 87 warrior but was told the motor was a little newer, not real sure. Anyway I was driving down the trail and the bike bogged out like it was flooding or lost fuel. Would not run. I could get it going a bit by pulling the choke but as soon as I gave it gas it died.

So I pulled the carb off and when I opened the top section to pull the slide out it came out but with no Needle. It was just laying down in the carb with no clip? Not sure how this happened but I cleaned all the jets and such. My question is how do I put the needle back in? I am looking at the slide and it just has a spring going down inside of it with the cable inside of it. It does not seem to pull out of there and I think this is where the needle is suppose to go? Right? Down inside of the slide. For all I know there might be parts missing or something but the bike was running.

Any info would be great. I am used to dealing with the carbs that have the round plunger style slide not like this one.
Thanks

well the needle goes down ito the slied there is 2 tiny phillips head screws in the slide and you take those out and your cable and spring will come out it sounds like your e-clip is missing that goes in the third notch from the top

Great thanks for the quick response. Does it matter which way the slide goes in. I notice there where some round marks on one side of it but didn't notice which way I took it out.

put the slide in the easiest way and hold the slide cap down and hit the throttle and if the slide feels like its sticking just swap the slide around

put the slide in the easiest way and hold the slide cap down and hit the throttle and if the slide feels like its sticking just swap the slide around
Thanks

Slide??
What kinda carb are you running??
Mikuni. I am asuming that is what you call it. It is the piece in the top part of the carb that the needle goes in. It slided out anyway lol

Mikuni. I am asuming that is what you call it. It is the piece in the top part of the carb that the needle goes in. It slided out anyway lol

Well yah I know what a slide is.. lol

But the original carbs on warriors have the butterfly style throttle, with an accelerator pump.. Someone swapped that carb.

I was more curious of the size of it? Thats why I was asking..

I am a little confused on the carb. It does have the throttle cable coming into the side of the carb which does operate a butterfly valve and it has the rod that pushes down for the accelerator pump. But on the top side there is another cable going in to the other piece I mentioned that was holding the needle. Other carbs I have seen just have the plunger with the needle and thats it. This seems to have 2 things going on. I am not familiar with this setup but I assume it is normal for this style. As for the size I can't sem to find anything other than the name. No t33 or something like that. The plastic cover that goes over the side of the carb is at home and I have the carb at work right now. I will see if it says anything else on it when I get home

Oh ok.. It's stock then.
Their a 36mm.. And I'm really no help with those carbs, so I'm gonna have but out on this now. lol

But I will mention if you wanna better carb with a bit more performance, and less moving parts (easier to service, and jet).
Try one of these (Keihin PE 38mm): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keihin-PE-3...0275&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

My neighbor has one on his 96, and he loves it!! It has better throttle response, and more topend.. The PE isn't the best carb Keihin makes. But their cheap, and run good.

Take the cable and spring out of the slide and you may find the clip laying beneath it. Could be that someone didn't put it on correctly, or it is spread out a little and is not snapping on completely. Could be the prob.

yeah my original carb needle's clip was so worn that when I took it off the clip just fell off of the needle so make sure its in there or you could of dropped it

Thanks, I got it apart and yes the clip was laying in there. It was really loose on the needle so I put a new one on. Seems to be working great so far. Thanks for the help

Back