Need someone that knows Big Bear 350's!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1998yamahawarrior

Reaction score
Well as many of you may have read I have a rather expensive ornament of a Warrior for a little while. So as not to cut our long weekend of riding short, we picked up a 1998 Big Bear 350 4x4. Not in to bad of shape and not looking like it had been abused, just well used. Only needing the seat redone and some pieces for the front driveshaft. Well it apparently wasnt my weekend, because first ride the electric start was acting up, sounded like the starter had an internal failure. No biggy its got back up pull start, well we were dead wrong over 25 miles by trail from camp! I looked down and saw oil, after further inspection we discovered it was coming from the case about an inch and a half from the stator cover. Pulled the cover to find the idler gear between the starter clutch and starter had busted the bosses that held it and either the gear or the shaft had shot up and cracked the case.

Now for the delema, we got it back to camp and started the search for atleast the left cases/covers. Well apparently 98 and 99 are the only years for that exact case design from what I have found. Most that I have found in resonable prices say only 2x4, but look like they actaully have the opening for the front. None of the pics are clear enough for my to tell if its just a pressed in plug or the case itself is cast plugged. Id really like to fix it and maybe run it for a 4x4 when I go up north after heavy rains. Any help would be great here guys. Heres a link to one of the cases I found that says 2x4, I just cant tell for sure whats there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151215537748?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I believe the Wolverine used the same cases. I've read that the Big Bear engine bolts in the Wolverine. Doing so gets you lower gearing that the Wolverine severely lacks.

Yes Pat I figured as much, but Ive found good case that are a good price that say 2x4. Catch is they still have the casting for the front, I just cant tell if its cast shut on them or something like a freeze plug

Hmm... I'm not too sure. It may be removable with some good tools, if it is cast. You'd have to get one and see.

I have a Clymer manual for 87-04 Moto 4 and Big Bear. You might want to get one. It has a lot of pics of everything. I'm not sure exactly what part you need. I can maybe get you a pic of something if I know exactly which part. It was about 20 bucks but a manual is a life saver!

I haven't done it yet but Jeff told me that you can call yamaha and they'll send you a manual for free.

Back