Need some help.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98warrior

Reaction score
Well guys I'm thinking about doing some performance mods but need a point in the right direction. Now I know most of you are'nt familiar with the z but any help is appreciated. I have a little over 600 bucks but thats not enough for what I originally wanted to do which was 11:1 cp piston stock bore, stage 1 web cams w/kibblewhite springs, used edelbrock and dyna ignition. What do you guys think about just getting a used edelbrock, dyna ignition and a -16 trailtech flywheel? I would also need like a top end gasket kit, stiffer valve springs which a lot of people use drze springs because they work good and are relatively cheap. I would also need a flywheel puller and is there anything else I would need that I have'nt listed? Tell me what you guys think performance wise as well. A lot of people say just a carb really really helps the z but idk. Oh and btw a guy is selling an edelbrock on the zuke size for 150 plus shipping, but it only comes with 1 needle which is a 17 e. How many edel jets would I need to buy and how much do they cost? If you guys are ever bored or would just like to help me out keep a eye out for this stuff on ebay for me ;D

Price List

Used Edelbrock - 150
Dyna non programmable - 180
TrailTech Flywheel - 120
Top End Gasket Kit - 40'ish?
Drze valve springs - 40 'ish
Flywheel puller - possibly pay shipping and borrow from one of u guys...
Plus possibly some misc needles for the edel. Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Roughly 530 bucks.

To get more power go for the goods.. Meaning, Cam and piston. All that other stuff is not really going to give you a whole lot power like these two will.
Check out FST..

High Compression Piston

(Standard)
$165

►440cc Big Bore Kit
Includes piston, rings, pin & clips, sleeve and head gasket.
$295

►463cc Big Bore Kit
$295

►500cc Big Bore Stroker Kit
Includes piston, rings, pin & clips, sleeve, head gasket and stroker crank.

(Stroked crank is on customer's core)
$645

►Billet Cams
$400/set

►Cams

(Re-grind / Exchange on stock cams)
$425/set

►Valve Springs
$165

►Heavy-Duty Cam Chain
$105

►Heavy-Duty Cam Chain Tensioner
$100

►Clutch Springs
$20

So honestly chad .. these kits will give you a hole lot more power then all of that stuff combinded.

Well jason with 600 bucks I dont think I can afford a piston/cams. Piston/cams doesnt sound like much $ but it all adds up quick. Jason I see the list but along with all those big bore kits I would need a gasket kit as well? And with cams I would need springs, new cam chain/cam chain tensioner? So basically I dont think 600 bucks will get me aftermarket piston/cams? Also people tell me that with cams/piston a carb is almost a necessity? I'd like to get some more power but seems like 600 bucks just cant do much on this thing.

Dont get the Edelbrock carb for your z, Go with an FCR.
My 05 only has a pipe, and jets, and I can easily keep up with my friends riding their 450s. So I'd get an FCR carb for sure. Other then that, I'd say some suspension maybe?

Well after talking to some people and some research I'm gona stay away from an edelbrock carb, too many problems. Oh and klutch I dont think I wana do suspension atm because I'm just trying to make it more competitive for dragracing after getting beat every race last sunday.

look into drag tire!!! makes a huge difference if you can get off the line with the rright amount of rpm left to get moving. Also having a cdi box adding 750-1000rpm will make you fly in the last 100ft. You will be able to fully maximize 4th gear instead of dumping into 5th for such a short amount of track. friends yfz with a big gun cdi and two extra teeth on the front cog really kicks the **** out of my stock yfz with a pipe in the 300ft drags. And I am talking by like two and a half bikes and I am bold enough to say I am a great shifter when It comes to drag racing. Also if you want a small advantage for days where you are only dragging take your front bumper off<-- lots of needless weight and the amount of air it pushes is outstanding just making you slower.

Well jason with 600 bucks I dont think I can afford a piston/cams. Piston/cams doesnt sound like much $ but it all adds up quick. Jason I see the list but along with all those big bore kits I would need a gasket kit as well? And with cams I would need springs, new cam chain/cam chain tensioner? So basically I dont think 600 bucks will get me aftermarket piston/cams? Also people tell me that with cams/piston a carb is almost a necessity? I'd like to get some more power but seems like 600 bucks just cant do much on this thing.

Then do one or other other.. I'd go big on the bore as it's pretty cheap and go with the highest compression you can get away with.
Make sure and take you're airbox lid off as well and get your jetting spot on. That makes a huge difference.
The Z does have a small carb as I believe it's only like a 36mm? FCR or Mikuni TM style with a accel pump would work.. I'd go with a 40mm if I was going with big bore.
Personally I think I would get 463cc big bore and then do the cam chain while your in there and go from there. That's what I would do.
http://www.cycleworksracing.net/ltz400.htm
Honestly though all that other stuff isn't going to do it for you.. IMO

Well jason the stock carb sucks ass so I know my jetting is'nt all that great and I still have the lid on so I know I have at least 2hp left in it for the cost of some new jets and an outerwears lid cover. Anyways I dont know what I'm gona do, I might just stop spending all this money on quads and save it for a truck. Lol I change my mind from day to day...

Personally I've seen the stock carb and it's not as bad as people say.. They just like to get you to think that. It is a little small.. though
You'll feel a big difference getting that thing tuned in with no lid...

►440cc Big Bore Kit
$295

►463cc Big Bore Kit
$295

So, those 2 kits arent strokers?

Chad I would go with the 440 13.1 piston, you engine is water cooled and all the 450s seem to handle 13.1 with no problem, so I don't you'll have an issue with detonation. I say 440 because you might as well do it now instead of spending more later, plus now your as fast as the 450s.

Back