Need help with CV boot

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TavisB

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of replacing the front wheel bearings and wanted to take care of a torn outer CV boot while I had it apart. Now that I'm in to it I can't see how I can get the boot on from the outer end. Do you have to get it on from the inner side? Do you have to do an inner boot to do the outer?

Sorry, first time messing with a CV shaft. I thought I could get the outer CV joint apart but I don't see how now.

depends on how it is made, usually you have to separate the outer joint, the shaft should have a clip and needs to be pulled or banged out pretty hard from the joint. Then you put the boot on the shaft, push it so you can handle the joint and bang it back together. use a brass or hard rubber hammer. If your not comfortable breaking apart the joint, ask any guy with some minor mechanic-ness. also, get some cv grease, it IS specific, not any grease will do, and re-grease your joint.

Thanks. I ended up putting the shaft in a vice and hitting it with a BFH just to see what would happen. Popped right off :). Everything's back in now and working great. Next up...fix the lean idle.

Latest posts

Back