My warrior won't go past half throttle!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparcolt

Reaction score
I just got a 2000 warrior from a guy I know, It has been sitting for a year or so. I brought it home ,put a new Yamaha air filter on it, and changed the exhaust from a DG pipe to a FMF power core 4 pipe and header. I never tried to ride it before so I don't know how it acted before the changes but It won't run past half throttle! it starts to buck and pop and then just dies if you don't back off the throttle, It does it in all the gears.
You can't make it run through the lag it just dies if you don't back off. Could it need rejetted or do you think there could be junk in the carb? or possibly a mechanical problem?

Any ideas?

Chris

sounds like your jeting is lean. But im not real good with that one of these other guys cans tell you.

Could be the parking brake switch. It activates a rev limiter when it thinks the parking brake is engaged. Depending on the year you could either unplug it or you have to connect the 2 wires together. Can't remember which years are which.

Check that parking brake wires first. If that doesnt work your jetting is probably off. Have you gone through the carb yet? If the quad has been sitting for awhile the gas probably varnished and gunked up the jets in the carb. A good cleaning may help the issue.

I know this is an old post but I have this same problem. I have an '01 Warrior, Its Bone Stock, and I put a new spark plug in and clean the carb, haven't checked the filter, and I don't know much about the parking brake, never used it ( Because It never seemed to work )

I think I found the two wires (green and black w/stripe in a white oval connector) they are not connected but when I jumped them together they really cut the revs down so I am thinking this is not the problem. I did try pulling the choke out when I was reving it full throttle which would richen things up and it revved a lot higher. I am thinking I may have to rejet the carb. How much do you think I will have to go up?

Does the carb have a high and low speed jet? is it adjustable or just a removable/replacable jet?

I went on FMF's site and they recomend a 150-152 main jet. what size is a stock jet? also it says needle in 3rd position is that from the top or baottom of needle?

Normally its from the top of the needle. Stock is a 138 i think but not sure.

Problemm Fixed!!! opened up carb and it looked pretty clean but the jet looked a little cruddy inside so I went to the local Yamaha shop and bought 3 jets. a 150, a 152.5, and a 155. The jet that was in it looked like it might have been a 150 but it was really hard to read, so I replaced it with the 152.5 and put it all back together. Now it revs right to the rev limiter.

I took it out in the yard and flung a bunch of snow around and had a HOOT!!!

now what to do next? do they make better spark boxes for this thing? Will it help any?
May go for a stroker big bore kit? 450cc sounds cool!! I also want to find a dual row carrier for the rear axle, I already bought a dura blue axle, does anyone have a spre aftermarket carrier?

well then maybe it is to lean because it revs until it starts to pop a little on the top end. liker it is running out of fuel or else the spark can't keep up with the RPM's Idon't think it is too rich

well then maybe it is to lean because it revs until it starts to pop a little on the top end. liker it is running out of fuel or else the spark can't keep up with the RPM's Idon't think it is too rich

No. Try going up a size on the main and see what happens. It will get worst. The bike will stutter on the top end when your jetting is rich. As you start to get closer to the correct mixture (leaner) the bike will rev cleaner to the top. So yes your jetting is RICH.

are you sure they dont have a rev limiter, I believe I have hit mine before in reverse

I should say the do not have one in forward gears. Believe me with the stock cdi and with some light mods I could run it all the way up past 11,000 rpms and the only thing stoping me was floating the valves.
If the bike stutters or misses on the top end like a rev limiter, this is what it feels like then the jetting is rich. Just try it once.. go up or down on the main and see what happens. It either will get better or worst depending one which way you go.

Latest posts

Back