My warrior Vs. z400

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswwarrior350

Reaction score
Hmm well i think i have a race on my hands, i have got 2 challenges, both stock z's. Alright do i stand a chance? I should think haha.

MY mods
Arias 12:1 .20 over
Webcam .430 lift cam
Titanium valvsprings
Edelbrock carb
Uni direct filter set-up single stage (more flow)
No box lid
H/D clutch and extra plate.
A little port cleaning, nothing major.
Valves were ground this winter
Hotshots ignition coil
Yoshi slipon with stock headpipe with ground inner lip.
14/40 gearing and 22"s
Running on straight c12 (108 octane) not that it helps

Other little junk, few lbs shaved off here and there, nothing else major that will help. Im excellent at holeshots, but it seems my warrior has a problem with traction on anything but pavement, therfore i want to do a pavement race. If on anything loose i wont go anywhere till at least 5th gear and spin through 6th. 500 feet will most likely be the distance. Whats the top speed on a z anyway not that i will be racing to top speed.?

If your warrior loses to a stock z you're doing something terribly wrong. You're running higher compression than me, and I still have a stock cam, and I can beat a stock z as long as my crappy tires hook up. The local shop built a warrior with the exact same mods as mine, but with a stage 2 hotcam, and that one was walking all over a piped z in drag races. The z's aren't really as fast as everyone makes them seem.

So... GO FOR IT!!!

from what i have heard, you will smoke a stock z. dont get me wrong, z's can be pretty damn fast, but hp to hp, you are head and shoulders above one.

got a question about running a 12:1....i'm debating on getting my head shaved to increase the compression to 12:1 but was just curious if the extra compression is worth it compared to 10.25:1 and what is the minimum octane you guys would recommend. obviously i'm not gonna be running just a 12:1 or 10.25:1 without any other mods. basically i'm using deaths motor as a guide. bored, stroked, pnp, cam, oversized valve, etc.

anyway, good luck with the race (not that you will need it though)

I kinda figured, this should be fun considering that my friend is getting rid of his 300ex for a z thinking he will be able to beat me. Cant wait to surprise him haha. Well tommorow im supposed to be racing another one thats stock. i love surprising people on my warrior. For being outdated and over weight it holds its own to most of the new sport quads that tend to look down on it. Back when i had my hotcam and wiseco i got compliments on how fast it was by guys riding banshees and z's etc everyone always wanted to know what was done to it because it just doesnt run like a stock warrior haha

You could probably take it, stock z's run like 67. It MAY take you on acceleration, z's have bad ass bottom ends. stock warriors are pretty speedy when they get moving, i cant imagine how fast they are with all that engine work.

The z's aren't that great in the bottom, it's in the upper mids where they are great on power with the stock cam and motor. As long as you launch in second and shift correctly you'll easily beat them. The z's aren't too great when you lug the motor like a warrior, they'll keep trucking in the tight ****. You might not need full race gas, you should do a cold compression test to see what the actual cylinder pressure is in psi, that'll tell you exactly what level of fuel you need. The race cam you're running will lower the pressure with the increased duration, so you might need a more tame fuel. Too high of an octane fuel will make you lose quite a bit of power.

For more traction try adjusting the preload on the suspension, you'll want to shift the weight to the rear.

You will beat him at a flat ground drag race, but dont go asking him to do a couple laps at a mx track because he will whoop ya, if his riding skills are matched with yours.

The z's aren't that great in the bottom, it's in the upper mids where they are great on power with the stock cam and motor. As long as you launch in second and shift correctly you'll easily beat them. The z's aren't too great when you lug the motor like a warrior, they'll keep trucking in the tight ****. You might not need full race gas, you should do a cold compression test to see what the actual cylinder pressure is in psi, that'll tell you exactly what level of fuel you need. The race cam you're running will lower the pressure with the increased duration, so you might need a more tame fuel. Too high of an octane fuel will make you lose quite a bit of power.

For more traction try adjusting the preload on the suspension, you'll want to shift the weight to the rear.
Um, Are you sure about that? I honestly think they are VERY torquey bikes, awesome bottom ends, No comparison from a stock z to a stock warrior.

I find that the Z "feels" torquey cause of the front end and how the bike is laid out - it likes to come up to easy and that instills the "feeling" of a lot of power.

That is the impression that I got while tooling around on one anyway.

I find that the Z "feels" torquey cause of the front end and how the bike is laid out - it likes to come up to easy and that instills the "feeling" of a lot of power.

That is the impression that I got while tooling around on one anyway.
So youre saying a z is like a civic? no power with the impression of it?

a civic has no impression of power, when the ricers put the big muffler tips on them it has the impression of a chainsaw

I am saying it feels like it has more torque then it has cause of the light front end and balance of the bike. I do not like how easy it will come up at all though.

I am saying it feels like it has more torque then it has cause of the light front end and balance of the bike. I do not like how easy it will come up at all though.

Doesnt your yfz come up alot? I Have no problem bringing my nieghbors yfz with a sparks pipe up, even when i dont want the front end to come up it does. I would think an 06 yfz with the amount of mods you have done would have its front tires having plenty of air time.

It will for sure but the way its balanced and how the center of gravity is makes it MUCH more stable and predictable. I dunno i cant explain it I am not comfy at all on a Z400 on hill climbs but on the YFZ no problem. You can stand a YFZ up on its own at this angle -> / and it will stay in that position - people really dont know how much research Yamaha put into this machine in regards to weight distribution and balance. I actually found the YFZ harder to wheelie then the Z400 - and it def isnt because of power!! lol

It will for sure but the way its balanced and how the center of gravity is makes it MUCH more stable and predictable. I dunno i cant explain it I am not comfy at all on a Z400 on hill climbs but on the YFZ no problem. You can stand a YFZ up on its own at this angle -> / and it will stay in that position - people really dont know how much research Yamaha put into this machine in regards to weight distribution and balance. I actually found the YFZ harder to wheelie then the Z400 - and it def isnt because of power!! lol
Youre ritgh about the angle positioning of a yfz, they can stay past twelve o'clock, That was one funny day lol.
You have to remember though, theyfz is not only wider, but lower, so ofcourse the center of graivty is better, I just dont like the seating position on the yfz or the 450r, that is another reason i went with the z, not easy to go fast when you dont like what youre riding...
I think the weight distribution on both yfz/ z are awesome though, its very easy to balance, and adjust both bikes in the air!

I am standing most the time when I ride anyway - seating isnt really an issue for me I guess. I find the YFZs narrow seat (similar to a dirtbike) good for getting into positions u couldnt on other machines; I just like the race/attack stance the YFZ and 450R have.

i second death's notion.....even a bud of mine that has a z says he loves his ergos, but he can move much better on my r.

i love the position and wouldn't go back to anything else.

Latest posts

Back